slightly worried !

radcliffe1309
on 2/14/15 6:00 pm

Hi, I had a bypass in August 2014 and have lost over 5st since, but this week after weighing myself I have put on 4llbs, this is the first time I have gained weight etc, I seem to have lost that full feeling and I am getting some of my old urges to eat the wrong types of food, I know the stomach can stretch back to its larger size again and I am worried that I may have blown it for good ! can you advise please ? one of the things I think I am doing wrong is drinking fluid at the same time as eating as I thought I could after a certain period of time after the oppuration

White Dove
on 2/14/15 11:11 pm - Warren, OH

The reason for not drinking with meals is that it washes the food out of the pouch and takes away the full feeling.  Eating starchy carbs makes you crave more carbs.  If you are not ready to start gaining back weight, then wait at least 30 minutes after eating to drink.

Also go back to high protein with a few non-starchy vegetables if you have room left.

I have never been successful with weighing once a week.  I have to weigh daily and be sure that I am not gaining.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

STB
on 2/15/15 12:09 am
RNY on 07/21/14

I don't drink for 30 minutes after I eat. I also start every day with a protein shake and my meals are mainly protein based. I plan my food the night before for the next day. I track everything and limit carbs to 50 gms or less per day. I was very surprised about the things that have carbs in them. I use Calorie King online to look up foods to see what they have in them. I have a spread sheet I keep so I don't have to look the items up over and over. When I had let carbs creep up my weight loss stopped. I am 6.5 months post op RNY. I am at about 600 - 750 calories a day, 60 - 90+ gms of protein a day and 42 - 60 oz of fluid a day. I weigh everyday as that starts me off with a positive mindset and/or if I have not lost it starts me off with a purpose in mind. I don't think drinking fluid while eating caused the weight gain but I could be wrong. I think maybe carbs are the culprit. Any carbs should be complex (whole grain). Simple carbs will cause you to crave more. Hope this helps.

SHARON  

NYMom222
on 2/15/15 2:47 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I had my surgery in July, and I can say now that things are 6 months out, things are changing. I can eat more and need to watch. While over time your pouch does stretch, it doesn't happen quickly or we would all have stretched pouches. You haven't blown it for good. I agree weighing everyday works for me. There will be fluctuations so I don't stress over them, and I record my weight once a week so I see the trend. Everyone has different plans, but the basics for everyone is usually 60-80g protein and 64oz liquids. Those are minimums. My Surgeon says "Protein first, then veggies and if you have any room left fruit and starches." I just went to see the dietician and she said if I am meeting my protein then I should start adding more vegetables and some fruit. So my surgeon doesn't say no carbs but it is at the end of the line of choices. Stop drinking with your meals. If you feel you need a sip because something is dry that is one thing, but in general no drinking. Makes the food slide through and you will eat more because you don't feel full. Get back on track, you can do it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

radcliffe1309
on 2/15/15 3:47 am

Thanks for the advce everyone !  I think I just need to work harder at it I guess

poet_kelly
on 2/15/15 4:08 am - OH

Your stomach cannot stretch back to its larger size.  It can stretch some, and in fact is supposed to stretch a little, but it can never be as large as it was.

If you are drinking with meals, that is why you don't feel full.  The liquid washes the food right out of your pouch.  Wait half an hour after eating before you drink and you should feel full again.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Willie H.
on 2/16/15 2:40 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Amazing! Your post almost patterned my which I wrote a week or so ago. I had VSG in August and was doing pretty well but then a few weeks ago I gained 4 lbs! Admittedly it was self-inflicted. I did not exercise for awhile due to injury, became somewhat discouraged and I ate the wrong foods-mostly crunchy carbs. And of course I gained 4lbs! But you know what? It taught me a lesson that this surgery is just a tool and we have got to operate it properly. It was for ME at least, a good wake-up call because I could see myself slowly drifting back to my old habits-and this in just under 6 months! On this forum I was encouraged to go back to the basics-fluid, protein, veggies and then fruits of which I did and now I am back on track. I need to re-write how I handle discouragement and find a new way to manage it. One way is by coming on this forum and letting it out. During my 4 lbs weight gain I was not here but back to trying to handle things alone. That is what got me obese  in the first place. We all have to account for ourselves. So, you did the "write" (pun intended) thing by sharing your concerns. Hope to hear back from you in a few days to say you are back on track and feeling great! I am!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

radcliffe1309
on 2/17/15 12:42 am

Thanks willie, my name is Bernard Im 54 and I live in Manchester England, your comments have really helped me as we are so alike etc,I have already become more focused since this post and have lost 2lbs too  Gota keep it goin now !

Willie H.
on 2/17/15 3:03 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Great to hear Bernard! I'm 56 years old so can relate to what you are going through. I've had a few stalls, weight gain, injuries, discouragements, a FEW bad food days, cravings, lazy exercise days and so forth. Life does not stop for our WLS but we do learn day by day and I think the key is to gradually develop new habits not only for eating but even more so how we deal with things.  I've been stuck her at around 268-270lbs for a few weeks now but I know I am working the program, getting my fluids, proteins, veggies, etc.. Eventually it'll have to come off and I do feel better and my clothes fit better. Going to Florida in March to play golf and I wanted to be down under 260lbs. Realistically it looks like that will not happen but regardless I'll stick to the program. Yep, just keep on keeping on!! Thanks for the heads up, great news!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"