Help paying for surgery when insurance want cover it

nurseangie_72
on 2/14/15 10:11 am - Corbin , KY

WLC I need help can anyone tell me how to get help paying for WLS when your insurance will not cover it because it's an exclusion?

Kiwideb
on 2/14/15 10:24 am
VSG on 01/19/15

I couldn't tell you, mine came all out of pocket.

Actually, since I just got the surgical tech bill, it's STILL coming out of pocket.

kathkeb
on 2/14/15 11:39 am

Save, borrow from your own resources (home equity loan, or borrow from investments), borrow from family, get a second job (perhaps with a company who does cover WLS).

I was self pay for my WLS and subsequent reconstructive surgeries, and have saved and made sacrifices to fund them ...... I drive a car that is 11 years old, but have a life and body that are priceless!

Kath

cspotrun
on 2/14/15 12:56 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

Many people go to Mexico for the surgery to save money.  There is a Mexico forum on here.

Karen   

Eggface
on 2/15/15 8:27 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Comb your policy to be sure the exclusion doesn't have a way around "exclusion" versus "deemed medically necessary" might just mean a few more tests for comorbidities... or have someone do it. wlsappeals.com Walt Lindstrom (RNYer and Attorney) will find it if its there. Nice guy I served on the OAC Board with.

Loans... carecredit.com is a common one or family if possible... they know your struggles I'm sure.

I didn't go that route... I took savings I had for a car and well now my car is a 1997 needs to keep going for a very long time ;) but it was worth every penny. 

I went to Mexico, though it's not always cheaper... really depends... you have to stay for a period of time 7-10 days usually so that's you and perhaps a relative (I went alone), food, hotel (though many Dr's have deals with hotels for a medical rate), travel if you are far... and of course the potential of return if something warranted it (though good Dr's in Mexico make sure you are good to go before giving you the all clear) stuff can still happen and if insurance didn't cover the surgery... complications wouldn't probably be covered either. 

I live in SoCal so it was not to far to travel or return if needed. I was a great experience so much so I went back for post op plastics twice. 

Best wishes in your research,

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com