Fifth day in recovery!

greekgirk1027
on 2/14/15 7:12 am

Opened sleeved on February 9, 2015. Also had my gallbladder removed and the first 2 days were miserable. No matter what they gave me, my pain could not be managed. Although today i feel very little discomfort and i feel i am following the liquid diet just fine. Just wanted to hear from anyone that is willing to share any info such as food ideas or anything you feel is helpful to know. I thank everyone in advance. I also thank everyone for posting this site has been a big go to for me. Ive gotten a lot of my will power from posters. Wonderful community here!!!!!

luxurycouture
on 2/14/15 12:39 pm

It sounds like it has been a tough few days for you! Glad to hear you are recovering so well! I am scheduled 2/17, so I am right behind you! Well wishes!

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

greekgirk1027
on 2/22/15 10:18 am

Thank you it was a tough few days but all is well. I too hope your surgery went well and you will be home before you know it. Stay in touch please

IWANT2BEHEALTHY
on 2/14/15 12:47 pm
VSG on 03/16/15

I am new here but I wanted to wish you well. I will be folowing your progress as I am trying to get through all the test still. Thanks for posting.

greekgirk1027
on 2/22/15 10:32 am

Hi thank you u for your well wishes. Sorry it has taken a while to reply. The first 2 days out of surgery was pretty painful. The surgeon went ahead and took my gallbladder out because he said after surgery people tend to develop gallstones. Instead of going through another surgery he took mine out. I came out with a tube in my nose that went into my new stomach and two drain tubes from my stomach. Ive been through that on my hernia repair as well. The only bad thing is having to wait til the tube comes out of ur nose before u can drink. Once i could drink i was started on 30cc's an hour and only sipping. I was increased 30cc's an hour til i could show i could 4 tiny medicine cups of 30cc's an hour. I also had to drink this thick nasty tasing stuff while they took pictures of my stomache to make sure i had no leaks.i recommend getting up and walking asap. Ik it hurts but its the gas they pump us up with the hurts it works its way up your left shoulder. As soon as u walk and the gas breaks up the better. I had some nausea but they gave me zofran thru the ivy. I know im not spelling this right but tourtle is kinda like advil well that helped my pain tremendously. On top of advil and dalaudit and my pain pump. The staff was great and very caring. 

STB
on 2/15/15 12:42 am
RNY on 07/21/14

I am 6.5 months post RNY and the first month I thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life. Now I wish I had done this sooner. Things will get better. Follow the advice of your nutritionist but also listen to what your body tells you. Their advice is based on averages and everyone is different so if your pace is slower that is OK. Sip continuously so you don't get dehydrated. Protein is a priority however, if you can't tolerate it drink what you can tolerate. The number one cause of rehospitalization is dehydration. Walk/move around as much as you can. It will help with the pain. It was amazing to me that one night I went to sleep regretting this decision and the next morning I woke up feeling so much better that it was amazing. Literally overnight things improved. At six months my tolerance for foods seemed to change dramatically also. You are healing from major surgery while learning a new lifestyle. Be patient with yourself, plan your "food" everyday ( I plan mine the night before for the next day), if you make a misstep get back on track immediately (no one is perfect but it doesn't have to ruin your entire plan), take your vitamins and I weigh myself every day to help me be aware of any issues that might be cropping up. I limit carbs to 50gms/day or less, fluids 43 - 60 oz/day, calories are now 600 - 750/day but initially were MUCH less (like 300 or less) and protein is 60 - 90+ gms/day. You will get there is you continue to follow the plan. Good luck.

SHARON  

greekgirk1027
on 3/2/15 11:37 pm

Thank you so much for your advice. Coming out of surgery i was in so much pain so my first thought was what have i done. However each and everyday i appreciate what opportunities have been giving to me and i remain determined and stick to the game plan. This site has been helpful and an inspiration.

Kathy S.
on 2/15/15 12:53 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130