Family support question

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/15 9:05 am - Canada

Hello everyone. I just joined today and have a question. April 23, 2014 was the start of my journey. I have jumped through all the hoops and even though it is coming up on a year my boyfriend and I are feeling overwhelmed. This is because we came back from a vacation down south Feb 3 and I had a message on my phone that there was an appt available for Feb 5th which I attended. You can imagine my shock when the surgeon told me that they had an opening for me on Feb 20th!!! That meant that I had to start the Optifast the very next day. Literally 2 weeks away! I have been doing well on my Optifast and am very excited but my boyfriend asked me today if I felt I was psychologically ready for this. I feel I am. He said he felt that there should be more resources for family/friends that are going to support us. So my question is..."Does anyone know of any web sites or support groups for them?" Can you offer any advice? Thank you in advance.

Kathy S.
on 2/16/15 1:33 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on your surgery date!  

Here are some links to information you may find helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

Your surgeon should offer support group meetings and family members are always welcome. My husband came to all my meetings and had all his questions answered as a supportive family member.  

We have a forum called Family and Friends Support Forum 

We can't wait to hear from you post-op!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Cathy W.
on 2/17/15 12:17 am

Congratulations on your surgery in three days!  Very exciting.

You have a wonderful boyfriend to be so concerned about you and want to support you like he is.  Ask him to create his own OH membership account.  With his own account, he can post for any info or questions he has.  

ObesityHelp has online support groups called OH Groups.  This is a link to a search of groups in Canada.  However, you can search any OH Group and join as many as you'd like.  

Please update us how you're doing and after you've had your surgery.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Patm
on 2/17/15 5:23 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Check with your centre. They often have support groups and support people are welcome. It is unfortunate you BF didn't go to some of your appointments to get more info.

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/15 10:35 pm - Canada

He actually did come with me to a lot of appointments but even in the social worker appts they didn't want him there. It was all about me and how I will cope afterwards.  He's always supported me in everything I've done so when he brought this up I really wanted to help him.  We have discussed his concerns and are coming up with strategies to overcome them. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.