Help I'm in a panic

melissa5
on 2/15/15 12:38 pm

I found out 7 days ago I was scheduled for bypass.  I go in tomorrow with surgery at 10:30.  I broke down at 5 this afternoon and ate a Turkey sandwich....I know I know.  Is this an enormous problem for me with surgery being 16 hours after this....HELP

Ladytazz
on 2/15/15 12:57 pm

Of course let your surgeon and anesthesiologist know but when I had both my surgeries I didn't have to do any kind of pre-op diet or bowel prep and the only instructions I had were not to eat or drink after midnight.  My surgeries were both in the morning, I think I was told 12 hours but I'm not sure.

That doesn't mean your surgeon won't do the surgery but if it is delayed then know it is for your best interest and safety.  It's not the end of the world but it may give you time to really evaluate how much you want this surgery and how ready you are for the changes you will need to make.

For instance, eating things too early after surgery could cause major issues.  If you found it hard to control yourself before the surgery it may be just as difficult afterwards.

You may want to seek help and counseling before going under the knife to address your food issues and put yourself in the very best position to succeed with WLS.

This is not another diet.  It is a complete and total lifestyle change where food is concerned.  You best chances for getting the most out of your surgery is to prepare yourself physically and emotionally for what to come.

Good luck to you and go easy on yourself.  Listen to your surgeon and take whatever suggestions he may give you.  He wants you to do well as much as you do.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/15/15 1:15 pm

It looks like you are not ready. Your sabotaged your self. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Nich_R
on 2/15/15 4:50 pm

I completely agree that you need to tell them tomorrow. I don't necessarily think it means you're not ready. It could and that's something to really think about since this is a major life changing decision you're making. 

Good luck tomorrow and just be honest with them. It may not be an issue or it may delay surgery and give you some more time to prepare and think about this.

ladygodiva1228
on 2/15/15 8:00 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

It may or may not be a problem, but you have to tell them. 

I know that my surgeon has told people to go home and reschedule the surgery because they ate food the day before and he makes them wait another 3-6 months for the surgery. 

Heck even though I was allowed a small meal with my pre-op diet except for the day before surgery I did liquids for 48 hours instead of the 24.  I didn't want anything screwing up my chance for surgery. 

Good luck, but don't be upset if they make you reschedule.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Cathy W.
on 2/15/15 10:39 pm

Did you have your surgery today as scheduled?

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/16/15 7:16 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Sniff sniff.  I smell troll.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220