band rejection

FL-Linda
on 2/17/15 9:04 am - Sebastian, FL

Has anyone experienced lap band rejection?  

I had surgery in 2008 and now the port is trying to push through my old incision!  Doc seems to think it's a combination of infection and rejection.  Can anyone she'd some light??

Thanx,  Linda

Kate -True Brit
on 2/17/15 5:28 pm - UK

Not sure I have read of exactiy that happening but, yes, some people do find that the band simply causes problems for their bodies.  

I assume your doctor has looked at the possibly that the infection is caused by issues at the actual band site rather than the port site? One possible band complication is that the band erodes into stomach tissue. Although that sounds as if it would always be painful, it can in fact have no obvious symptoms except that infection can travel along the tubing and manifest itself as swelling and tenderness around the port area. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Hislady
on 2/18/15 10:09 am - Vancouver, WA

What Kate said and I have seen pictures of ports that have come right on thru the skin to where you could see them from outside! If there is any infection at all you want the whole band removed so there is no chance of reinfection. There are many who have to end up having their bands removed. There have been several folks I know who nearly died because of the band eroding into their stomach an no there isn't always pain involved with erosion. I no longer have a band because of the pain it caused. Many people are just not able to tolerate the band for many different reasons.

onikenbai
on 2/19/15 11:13 am - Canada

My band had to come out because my body couldn't handle having it filled.  I could have it empty and completely useless and eat whatever I wanted, but once it was filled I went from zero restriction to total restriction and I couldn't hold down anything bu****er and soup.  It wasn't even a matter of overdoing it on the fill either as the margin from zero to complete restriction was 0.1mL.  I must have had that 0.1mL put in and taken out at least 10 times before I got too sick and the doctor and I gave up and called it a day on the band.  Band taken out when my RNY was done.

FL-Linda
on 2/19/15 11:41 am - Sebastian, FL

thank you everyone.  I had my band inserted in 2008. Over the last month I have had a feeling of being bruised in my abdomen just below the port placement. My doc had me checked for erosion and that's not the issue.  He is thinking total band rejection or some type of infection. My old port incision is bright red and my upper abdomen is swollen, I feel bloated almost all the time.  We are doing a wait and see,  doc seems to think he will need to remove it. I'm scared to have it removed.  I guess my question to everyone would be had anyone heard of the product being the cause? I mean faulty in some way? I'll pulling at straws I'm sure but thanks.