BIRTH CONTROL?!!

NorthernHusky
on 2/16/15 10:52 pm

Hey Everyone,

so I had my surgery June 16th 2014, and at one month post opp I started on the DEPO SHOT, I seen that my weight loss slowed, but not a lot. *NOW THIS IS PERSONAL..so if you are a dude, who isn't comfortable with "girlie issues" please stop reading.

I bled heavily for the first month, and spotted for weeks after. I felt like a total psycho the whole time. MEGA MOOD SWINGS. but after the bleeding stopped, I didn't mind the mood swings. after my second injection, I was fine, but still moody. This last injection I got (every 90 days) has made me PMS the whole time. Cravings and moody and LOTS of bleeding, which is AWFUL for people trying to keep their iron levels up.

i am due for another injection in March, and needless to say, i am not sure i want to continue with DEPO. i do NOT want to get pregnant, as i am still in my first year, an losing weight...

what method do you think is best?

i do not want an IUD or Coil of any kind...

and i was advised not to use the pill.. for absorbency issues...

BUT i was wondering if i used the pill, AND used a condom.. not the whole time.. more so at the end.. SORRY... i know its a TMI, but seriously... what are your thoughts?

Gastric Bypass June 16th 2014

Highest weight: 356
Surgery weight: 347
Current Weight: 224
Goal Weight: 180

Gwen M.
on 2/17/15 1:42 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This sounds like a question for your surgeon - I don't know about the absorbency of the pill with your surgery.  I assume you had RNY?  

I do know that precum can have sperm in it, so just using a condom before *********** will do nothing.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

apkat
on 2/17/15 2:44 am, edited 2/17/15 2:45 am
RNY on 12/12/14

Gwen is correct.  Pre-********* can sometimes contain sperm.  The risk of forgetting to put the condom on 'at the end' would be a problem too, I think.  Have you considered the implant they can put into the arm that lasts about 3 years?  There is one called Implanon.  The website link I'm posting is geared towards teens but it was just the first one I came across with straight forward intro to the implant.

http://www.pamf.org/teen/sex/birthcontrol/implanon.html

Valerie G.
on 2/17/15 3:19 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I don't understand your negativity toward the IUD.  I had mine (Copper T shape-forget name, no hormones) for 9 years before we decided on a permanent solution.  My periods were heavier for a few months and my body got used to it.  I highly recommend learning more than the headlines of the 80's.  They've come a long way.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

NorthernHusky
on 2/17/15 3:21 am

the idea of having something metal in my body is beyond me

plus you have to check it after each cycle... manually..

Gastric Bypass June 16th 2014

Highest weight: 356
Surgery weight: 347
Current Weight: 224
Goal Weight: 180

Valerie G.
on 2/17/15 4:08 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Checking it every month is no big deal, and much more convenient than remembering pills, or stopping your day for an appointment to go get a shot.  I cannot argue your aversion to having a foreign object in your body, except point out that you've artificially changed your anatomy to circumvent nature already.

You're running out of options though, besides aspirin.  Hold it between your knees and never let it go.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MAchick
on 2/17/15 4:51 am
VSG on 01/27/14

What? It's just sticking your fingers up there. Some gynecologists actually encourage their patients to check their cervix each month.

KattattaK
on 2/17/15 4:40 am

I used a combination of VCF film/strips and condom. Worked fabulously!

asmallerme83
on 2/17/15 5:05 am - Oklahoma City, OK

Oh the memories... I had a similar situation after WLS - I had taken Yazmin for YEARS... then I started bleeding all the time. Of course, this was an absorption issue. It was suggested that I try Nuvaring. While I am a little crazy (hey, aren't we all?), I have no other issues. I can remove the ring anytime I want for whatever personal reason and after getting used to the weirdness of a "ring", things have been just fine for over six years. Give it a try, I believe it works better than depo, but that of course is a personal choice.

Good Luck!

Pokemom
on 2/17/15 7:46 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Just on the condom discussion.  That was our BC of choice, and we were diligent in using it every single time.  For my first three children, every one of them was planned.  But my 4th was a total surprise, even though we were still using the condoms every single time, and along the TMI discussion, we used them before any "important contact," NOT just at the end.  So, just my personal experience, they are not foolproof.