Tough Love and dying......

saterry
on 2/18/15 9:43 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

SOME people really do begin to care. Some take steps everyday to get to that place of treating their body well and loving life.....we will all die....we just will.

And thanks for the permission and approval from someone like YOU as to what I can post and who would care about it. Many people on here are respected well for their wisdom and experience,,,,,,,

YOU ARE NOT ONE OF THEM AT ALL.......but as long as you have your GAME PLAN in place we can rest too....

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

Patm
on 2/18/15 10:51 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

You obviously cared or you would not have had wls. As you post even thin we have no idea what the future holds ofr us. You could end up as a thin patient in the ICU. Especially with the diet you profess to follow.

I think this post by Saterry was great

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/18/15 11:08 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Exactly. No vitamins, no lab work, and one hospitalization for anemia (and a "magic" recovery), an ICU visit seems probable.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

saterry
on 2/19/15 3:07 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11015107_788094121284721_6884641325180124800_n.jpg?oh=313d3a4632fc4e883215d1779aea9818&oe=5559E4EC

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/15 1:01 am - Portland, OR
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks for this. I work in healthcare too, and from the perspective of a working in close proximity to the Respiratory department, I can tell you that being crushed by your own body until you die of respiratory failure is a horrible way to go. I've been overweight since 6, had hypertension since 18, and DMII since 23. Sometimes I need to step back, see the forest for the trees, and realize that I'm not going to live to see 40 if I keep going the way I had been. I see patients 200 or 300 lbs heavier than me with fewer medical issues, and it makes me bitter about the unfairness of life sometimes, but at least I know I can do SOMETHING to control my issues regardless of the hand I was dealt. It's a gamble for all of us, but we can at least stack the deck.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/17/15 2:49 am

Thank you, Saterry, for your work as a nurse and for the dose of reality. My grandmother died a lingering, awful death from complications of obesity. It took me until my late 30s to get off my fat ass and really get serious about my health, but seeing my grandmother's death was a huge impetus.

It's easy to think we are bulletproof and none of those things will happen to us.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Cathy W.
on 2/18/15 8:05 am

Your post is a strong reminder not to take the gift of WLS or our health for granted.  It should be part of the consent form that we sign before having WLS.

Thank you for posting this.  You've made a big difference to many people by posting it.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/18/15 8:45 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Preach it!!

If there's something I can do to make sure I don't die from a stroke before I'm 40, you'd damn well better believe that I'd do-- and did-- it. There's lots of cool stuff in this world that I haven't seen yet, and if following instructions means I have a chance to kick around for another 40+ years? Heck yeah I'm going to do it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

TexasTerritory
on 2/18/15 9:02 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Speak the truth saterry! There are rules for healthy living that matter. One can only cheat for a short time before reality bites. I choose to follow the rules bc it matters.

Needanewbeginning
on 2/18/15 11:06 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Wow, incredible post Saterry! I had a cardiac arrest at home and survived against the odds at being 'dead' literally for 25 minutes. I got a second chance. I was MO, had undiagnosed sleep apnea (which is what they believe triggered my SCA) along with HBP, major stresses with work and family, blah blah blah, all things most of us MO folks have had. But all these together make a ****tail that may have contributed to my sudden cardiac arrest.

It was also the kick in the ass that started me on my weight loss journey. I am not perfect now that I am in maintenance but I am doing the best I can, I have too! It's my life and I choose to LIVE. Your right Saterry, we are here for a short time, make it count, live well, we ARE worth it! 

It drives me insane as well to read daily posts of those eating their way around their surgery and preop diets, not taking their vits, alcohol, etc. like seriously!? This IS your second chance at LIFE, use it! 

We all end up as dust, Ms Heidi, no idea how the hell you think you will never end up in an ICU? If you do, you may get lucky like I did and survive against all odds. 

Not sure where I was going with this, but its a brilliant post and I just had to say it was.

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs