Tough Love and dying......

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/18/15 9:54 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

(Whistling)

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/18/15 8:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On February 17, 2015 at 7:38 AM Pacific Time, Raze wrote:

i have experience as a first call driver, have seen death same as you OP, at point of impact. we all die very soon. i say live as you want to live and be happy. so long as you do not hurt others and don't blame others for your own shortcomings i've got no problem with folks

we all die. some of us faster, some slower, some by our own means, and some quite by accident. i see people who live well, and have lived a good life, and die early regardless. "live and let live" while we are here, mind your own business, and get on with our own lives, i say. i haven't much more to offer but your post was thought provoking, so thanks

also instead of prolonging life, tubes hanging out, making death a long, sad, drawn out expereince, the medical profession needs to let people die imo. no more artificial life support, no more long, expensive treatments, no more families "torn apart" by what is an eventual certainty for all of us. life is for the living imo, not the dying. let dead be dead, and the dying die. acceptance is the key. the living will carry on until our time comes. which will be very soon even if you were literally born yesterday and live the best life you can. the world has several billion more of us to take up the slack. no need to drain the sick and dying dry on the way to their final resting place while dragging their loved ones down for good measure

care for the sick and dying, love the dying, and be compassionate. but never blame them for their own death or sickness. it is after all the same death we will all know soon enough whoever we are, whatever we do. and people who "play with their bodies" love life just as much as those who don't, and are just as valuable. maybe they will die sooner, and maybe suffer more? or maybe not. we just can't say, can we?

but death is coming just the same. in the end we can just take care of ourselves the best we can. if some do it better than others, good for them. i do it pretty well but i always assume others are doing the best they can, too. if they could do better, they would. if they have any regrets at the end, its their own. i am only grateful for what i can do for myself. we are all falling apart, decaying and fading away. even as i type, i am. i am wearing my body out daily. we are all part of the same compost heap and headed in the same direction. and once we are gone, we are gone. our memories don't go with us, our lives and how we lived ceases to matter to us, who we were will be remembered by some, but not by us. away we go....hopefully we were happy. even if we died of being morbidly obese none of us are far behind. so, enjoy those twinkies while you can. and remember to hug a leper and the sinners, too 

live, and let live. and let die, as well. it'll be ok 

I disagree.

If someone drives without a seatbelt, drinks too much, self-harms due to mental illness? You bet your ass I'm going to speak up. "Live and let live" in a situation like this is cruel, because it means you quietly agree that the person deserves to have something bad happen to them.

That's not compassion.

If a patient has a heart attack, his doctor tells him to rest, and the patient has a heart attack while running a marathon the next day? That is nobody's fault but the patient for ignoring orders. A WLS patient who ignores orders, busts a staple line, and has life-threatening complications is the same.

Yeah, death will come for everybody eventually. You've seen it yourself. Surely you have SOME personal ethical obligation to keep it from happening sooner than necessary? Or are you planning to twiddle your thumbs at others' risk?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

saterry
on 2/18/15 9:36 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

A patient had a massive heart attack in my ER, Huge woman,,,,took 6 of us to get her in the table to undress her......laid her back and went to clean her vaginal area and a half eaten  molded chicken sandwich fell out from under her panus,,,,.....she died.

I don't want food hiding places on my body or in my body,,,,,,my idea of taking care of myself will never involve eating twinkies,,,,I am worth so much more......

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

VSG on 06/12/13

completely sobering thought there. Wow. How sad that she lived - and died - that way.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/18/15 12:32 pm - OH

That is truly disgusting.

I confess... I ate a Twinkie when they brought them back (however many months ago that was).  It was yummy.  Not yummy enough to ingest that many calories and fat on any kind of regular basis, though!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

aharris30
on 2/18/15 2:12 pm, edited 2/18/15 2:13 pm
VSG on 05/13/14

As an ICU nurse i have seen a lot....but that is just sad! Food under the pannus, just sad, but then again....

saterry
on 2/18/15 7:32 pm - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

And YOU know I laughed my ass off......we are like that.....cuts the tension  

MyLady Heidi
on 2/17/15 12:04 am

I watched my grandmother die as a result of smoking, my grandfather as a result of drinking and my mother as a result of type 1 diabetes, she was never an ounce overweight a day of her life.  Death sucks no matter what the cause.  You can post this stuff I guess but I doubt anyone really cares or they never would of gotten MO in the first place.  Some people treat their bodies as temples and get cancer and die, sometimes its just **** luck.  I have my own end game plan and I can assure you it does not involve the ICU.  Luckily that is a choice that you can opt out of.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/18/15 8:41 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On February 17, 2015 at 8:04 AM Pacific Time, MyLady Heidi wrote:

I watched my grandmother die as a result of smoking, my grandfather as a result of drinking and my mother as a result of type 1 diabetes, she was never an ounce overweight a day of her life.  Death sucks no matter what the cause.  You can post this stuff I guess but I doubt anyone really cares or they never would of gotten MO in the first place.  Some people treat their bodies as temples and get cancer and die, sometimes its just **** luck.  I have my own end game plan and I can assure you it does not involve the ICU.  Luckily that is a choice that you can opt out of.

Way to appreciate a heartfelt post, Heidi. Guess none of us here care about ourselves in the slightest.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

saterry
on 2/18/15 9:23 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

A pig always squeals when you step on its toes,,,,,,,,