PLEASE HELP!!! 6 days post op

FindingMe15
on 2/15/15 10:57 am

I am six days post op and sleeping all the time. I am drinking maybe 20 oz at best and getting in 10 gm of protein. It is so hard to eat and drink.today I started feeling cramps in my legs and got scared I was dehydrated. What should I focus on first? Did anyone else drink/eat this little and we're they okay?

Please please reply. Thank you! 

Gwen M.
on 2/15/15 11:18 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Focus on your liquids first.  Set an alarm to go off every 15 minutes and take a sip.  Try different liquids - some people do better with warm stuff like tea or broth when they're starting out.  Some people do better with cold things.  Some people have better luck with crystal light than with straigh****er.  Try everything until you find something that works.  

You most likely are dehydrated - you should call your surgeon in the morning and see what recommendations he has.  He might want you to go in to get IV fluids.  Dehydration can be a killer. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

poet_kelly
on 2/15/15 6:14 pm - OH

You need to get some fluids in.  You probably need to go to the ER for IV fluids.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

frisco
on 2/15/15 7:13 pm

Call your doctor ASAP

If you can't get a hold of your doctor go to the ER

Not trying to scare you.... but, with the limited info in your post..... your 6 days out, sleeping all the time and have leg issues.... you may have a blood clot.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Valerie G.
on 2/16/15 1:11 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

No, it is NOT okay.  You need 64oz of fluids starting at the time they removed the IV from your arm.

The cramps and fatigue comes with dehydration.  So does nausea, and later..kidney stones.  Your body doesn't care what you feel like drinking or that it's hard.  It's telling you - right now- that there are NO acceptable excuses to not nourish yourself.

Fluids are most important at this moment. Protein drinks count towards your fluid intake, too.  Find something that "doesn't suck".  Try different temperatures and flavors, then sip all damn day until bedtime.  Take a cup with you everywhere you go, and keep sipping until you can down 64oz before lunchtime.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

FindingMe15
on 2/16/15 1:34 am

Thank you all for your feedback. I also had a large hernia repair at the time of the surgery so I have been in more pain than expected. The doc has me on so any pain mess and muscle relaxers that it is so hard to stay awake. I have also been very out of it because of the meds. This is why I wasn't doing a good job of tracking my intake. I stopped taking all pain meds yesterday. And are my husband keep me awake for an our while I drank 16 oz. I will be sure to hit goals today. No after what it takes. I also no longer have the crampy feeling in my legs. I was warned several times about staying hydrated but I was never warned about how much the drugs could affect my mind and sleeping. :(

hollykim
on 2/16/15 3:45 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 16, 2015 at 9:34 AM Pacific Time, FindingMe15 wrote:

Thank you all for your feedback. I also had a large hernia repair at the time of the surgery so I have been in more pain than expected. The doc has me on so any pain mess and muscle relaxers that it is so hard to stay awake. I have also been very out of it because of the meds. This is why I wasn't doing a good job of tracking my intake. I stopped taking all pain meds yesterday. And are my husband keep me awake for an our while I drank 16 oz. I will be sure to hit goals today. No after what it takes. I also no longer have the crampy feeling in my legs. I was warned several times about staying hydrated but I was never warned about how much the drugs could affect my mind and sleeping. :(

good for you for taking control. Dehydration canbe deadly and it happens quick. It is nothing to play around with. 

Valerie G.
on 2/16/15 9:19 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I learned after my DS how much of a cheap date I was to anesthesia.  I had brain fog for a good 5-6 weeks.  Have Hubs get you a 64oz cup, so you only have to remember that the cup needs to be empty.  I still have one today, 9 yrs later.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes