When to get iron infusions

Belemilus
on 2/12/15 10:58 am

My name is Belinda.  I am new here, but quite a few years out of my WLS.  I bet this question has been asked a ton of times, but I'm not sure how to search old topics.  I consistently have issues with low Ferritin.  Mine is currently 7.  I have a normal hemoglobin though.  I no longer see my WLS for follow-up.  I only see my PCP.  Every single time my Ferritin gets as low as it currently is I end up getting iron infusions.  (about every 2 years)  But by the 2 years comes along... my doctor argues with me and says that we shouldn't do the iron infusions until my hemoglobin drops.  I am sick of the fight.  I am not like regular people who can absorb enough iron in order to get the levels up... but consistently get the fight about it.  When do your doctors prescribe you the iron infusions and is it in my head that I have symptoms even though my hemoglobin is normal?  HELP

Should I insist that I see a hemotologist?  grrr

rocky513
on 2/12/15 12:09 pm - WI

Yes you should see a hematologist.  A Ferritin level of 7 is VERY low.  I'm luck that My PCP is very proactive.  I have a history of low Ferritin and when it dips below 50, she refers me to a hematologist.  She said that Ferritin numbers below 50 can cause restless leg syndrome and other problematic symptoms.  She doesn't want my numbers to drop too far before something is done.  There is no reason to suffer symptoms if you know that your history is to have Ferritin numbers that continue to drop.  I have infusions every few years too.  Some of us just don't hold onto our iron.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

poet_kelly
on 2/12/15 1:39 pm - OH

I am sure you have symptoms with your ferritin that low.  I suggest seeing a hematologist about it.

I am curious, though.  What type of iron and how much of it do you take?  Most people, though not all, are able to keep their levels up by taking large amounts of carbonyl iron along with vitamin C.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ladytazz
on 2/12/15 2:24 pm

I lucked out with my new hemotologist.  He gets it.  He is proactive and wants me to monitor my levels and not wait until they are in the toilet to do something about it.  He works with WLS patients and he knows how fast it can go downhill.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/12/15 8:06 pm, edited 2/12/15 8:07 pm

When mine dips below 30...i get infused.  Ferritin below 50 can show as iron deficiency (google studies). 

Take studies to your doc to read.

I get infused so my ferritin gets into 160-200. That would last me 2 years or so. 

Are you still have a period?  If so? So you plan to have more children? If not - consider uterine ablation. That would limit how much blood you are losing every month. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Belemilus
on 2/12/15 8:59 pm

Thank you everybody for your reply. You've been very helpful. I am not sure how to fight the doctor about this but it seems that I have to go through this every single time my ferritin drops is low. I am currently taking VitronC which is an iron supplement with vitamin C in it. 

Any other advice would be appreciated. Blood tests to look at? Articles? Anything to get my doctor to do what's necessary would be helpful thanks

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/12/15 9:27 pm

What doc it is?  My hema understands.  Once i was sent to hematologist, i become his patient. No more referal needed.  Now when i get my blood work done - i ask and demand ferritin level. I would pay cash for it if needed. (So far not needed).  

Btw: vitron C may not be enough. A lot of people take profferin, lots of it , 

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/new-study-about-ferritin-levels-fatigue-and-iron-supplementation.18664/

Just Google it. There is a lot of info. 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Belemilus
on 2/12/15 9:30 pm

Just my regular PCP. I've never asked her for a hema doc referral. She fights me tooth and nail. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/12/15 10:48 pm

Ask for referal. If PCP would not do it, ask the surgeon, or any other doc.... My pcp (great guy btw) just gave me script for iron... My surgeon gave me referal. Now my PCP does not comment or object. But he trust me to know what is best for me.  

Also - I can't take iron due to severe gut pain if i try. Any iron.   I tried them all, in any combination.  They don't work for me and cause harm. (Severe pain).  

Belemilus
on 2/23/15 4:00 am

I finally met with my doctor and very kindly asked for a referral. She finally listened. I had to state my case. I explained that I didn't have low hemoglobin 5 years ago and low ferritin if 6 and yet we still did the infusion. End result... She is going to make hemo referral AND try to use the same dose of  med for the infusion as last time. She has no clue how much to order so she is going to look through my records and ask pharmacy. 

Will ill keep updating