Night snacking

jastypes
on 2/12/15 3:03 am - Croydon, PA

I'm 7 years out and the problem comes up every now and again.  The last time, I felt that my choice for night snack (carbs) was making me want more, and sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night and grab something.  I work pretty closely with my dietician and OA sponsor, who suggested I remove the carbs from my night snack and switch to dairy or fruit/protein only.  That seemed to work for me.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

K P.
on 2/12/15 3:05 am
DS on 07/08/14

These are all great ideas everyone. Thank you. Ive been studying for an exam so unfortunately that doesnt help my urge to snack!

Ive been thinking maybe im not eating enough at dinner and that could be part of the problem as well. Ill give eating a little more a shot, then there isnt enough room to keep eating! 

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

Valerie G.
on 2/12/15 3:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Night time is when I crave sweets.  I will want to eat everything in sight, but magically, cinnamon toast puts my cravings at ease at night, so I allow myself that.  Other things I do is make just 4 cookies fresh from the oven (2 for me, 2 for hubs) and we enjoy the bliss.  Its not a remedy or replacement, but I am satiated without getting out of control.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

K P.
on 2/12/15 10:41 am
DS on 07/08/14

Maybe someday I will be at the stage where carbs don't lead to disaster and that will work. Right now I am fighting with urge for sweetness and knowing that it will make me in pain. 

I wish I didn't have a sweet tooth!

Valerie G.
on 2/12/15 12:01 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Oh, I can still get crazy at times.  Another trick I have is to fill myself up with 'good things' and then save just a bite or two for whatever I want, be it bread or chocolate cake.  I'm too full to lose control, but I'm satiated.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

K P.
on 2/12/15 1:41 pm
DS on 07/08/14

Tonight I made myself 1/2 scoop of a protein shake (graham cracker flavor) with heavy cream (1/4 c) and some ice in a blender. It tasted wonderful, curbed my sweet tooth, and gave me some protein. Only 5-6 carbs and 11g protein.  

I still find it odd my stomach can only hold a few ounces of some foods, but other times it feels like an endless pit. 

:)

Dolphingirl1385
on 2/13/15 1:14 am

Hey Valerie

I have been doing that as well.  Filling myself up on protein and the things I need, then allowing myself a bit or two of bread or something sweet if I am craving it.  Instead of fighting it, I give in with just a bite or two and this seems to satisfy me so that I stop thinking about it.  I am looking at this journey as a life long lifestyle I can live with rather than a short term diet.  My only concern is that I am only 8 months out and still in the losing stage, not maintenance yet.  Do you think this approach will hinder my weight loss? I have lost 145 lbs. but would like to lose another 40 lbs. or so before maintenance.  I felt this was the best way to get through the holidays, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and now Valentine's Day without feeling completely left out of parties, etc.

DS on June 13, 2014 with Ara Keshishian

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/12/15 4:24 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

The urge to eat late at night is a MONSTER PROBLEM for me.  I went down a slippery slope of eating nuts (mostly cashews) before I'd crawl into bed and it's no bueno for weight loss.

My current late night snack is about 1/4 cup of blueberries with a serving of low fat French vanilla coffee creamer (15 calories, 2 carbs).  This satisfies my cravings and is relatively healthy.

If you can find something to avoid eating entirely, more power to you.  I know that I'm going to cave in so I've tried to find something that will satisfy me without blowing out the calorie count for the day.  Conquering this eating demon inside my head is so freaking hard.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

K P.
on 2/12/15 1:45 pm
DS on 07/08/14

That sounds good. I was thinking of picking up some blueberries next grocery trip! I love them frozen.

Han Shot First
on 2/12/15 6:07 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Night snacking is the worst for me, and it always has been.  We have a 6 year old, so we eat dinner around 6:00, and 8:00, after she was in bed, was always my snacking time.  This is when I fight my head the hardest.  Now, I usually have a few almonds or something as my snack, and make sure I don't have much.

--

150 lost and maintaining!