iv tylonal?

aenewcomb9
on 2/12/15 10:29 am

anyone's surgeon use iv tylonal? I won't have morphine pump. I'll have iv tylonal every 6hrs and diladid  (I'm sure that isn't spelled right) as needed.

my surgeon speaks very highly of the iv tylonal. Just curious if it really helps the pain?

ChristineB
on 2/12/15 10:52 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

Never heard of an IV Tylenol. Watch the dilaudid as it can cause massive headaches. I had it while having a stay in the hospital for a bowel obstruction.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

MamaShelia
on 2/12/15 11:17 am

My sister just had WLS (RNY) in December and she was given that combination of pain meds: IV Tylenol and Dilaudid. She says that it really did keep the pain from surgery at bay, but, of course, did nothing for the gas pain. =0)

Good luck to you!

The Salty Hag
on 2/13/15 5:49 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I started with the morphine pump after surgery, but it made me sick. I started getting the IV Tylenol, and it was wonnnnnderful. Took away the pain, but didn't make me nauseated or loopy. It was a lifesaver for me. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Hislady
on 2/13/15 5:52 am - Vancouver, WA

Dilaudid is a narcotic so that is where the pain killing is coming from the tylenol just bumps it up a bit.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/13/15 10:47 am - OH

The surgeons that I work for part time use intravenous Tylenol in addition to a patient-controlled morphine pump for laparoscopic surgeries, but they don't use the Tylenol alone.  Some people only self-administer a dose or two of the morphine, though, so for some people the IV Tylenol apparently does provide adequate pain control.  

Personally, though I would be sure before surgery that your confirm with the surgeon that if they routinely provide ONLY the Tylenol, that there are standing orders for a "rescue" narcotic pain medication.  There is nothing worse than being in pain and having to wait until the nurses can get authorization from the surgeon for a stronger medication!

I should add that the concern surrounding Tylenol alone is that the standard dose is 1g every 6 hours, but that reaches the "danger" threshold of 4g/day for acetaminophen causing liver damage... So it definitely isn't something you would want to do for more than a couple of days.  Did you ask what kind of pain medication your surgeon prescribes once you leave the hospital?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

aenewcomb9
on 2/13/15 10:49 am

He said I get the tylonal every 6hrs automatically.. and I can have dilaudid if I request it. I will be sent home with "narcotic pain medication."