What To Bring To The Hospital

FindingMe15
on 2/11/15 11:42 pm

Congrats on your surgery date! Mine was just on the 9th. Here are a few tips. Chapstick, gas x strips, senecot,  and earplugs for the hospital. They have everything else you need. But I also did the following: packed some snacks for my husband for taking care of me. And bought the following for when I got home: heating pad (this is a must! Very helpful with back and neck gas pain, every kind of drink you can think of because you taste changes and some you won't like. Water, power aide zero, gatorade 2, sugar free popsicles, chicken broth, apple juice, Jello , pudding. Everything that still has calories I would cut w water as you stomach will be sensitive. 

Also I had an unexpected hernia repair az well and it was much more.painful, I learned that taking a deep breath after a sip helped the water.go down better. Last tip! Try to sleep, the narcotics will make you sleepy, don't fight it. Everytime I woke up from a nap I felt better! Hope this was helpful. 

Valerie G.
on 2/12/15 3:32 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I had a bag of goodies, and the only thing I brought out was lip balm.

I WISHED I had some ear plugs and my own shampoo/conditioner.  The hospital gave me baby shampoo, and I looked like a dandilion after my baby-fine hair air-dried.  A hat would have been favorable to conceal it, but I was really too stoned to care.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

diane48
on 2/12/15 11:21 am
RNY on 05/07/13

Only thing that I really used was lip balm and ear plugs.  Both are a must!  Most US hospitals provide the rest.  One thing that I found that I had to overnight ship after I got home was Unjury chicken broth.  It's a savory protein source when everything just seemed too sweet. 

Angie2015
on 2/13/15 11:01 am

I'm just flying home now from vsg in mex. Best things I took: book, tablet with Skype for calling home, gas-x strips (lifesaver), pajama shorts for walking halls after surgery. Crystal light squeeze thing, shampoo, conditioner, soap. Things I wish I brought, was isopure protein or something for the 12hr trip home. Managed to buy soup for $6.00 but kind of a waste since I hardly had any :) they don't seem to have jello or protein shakes at the airports. :)  

I took a small roller suitcase and over packed it with dresses. I used two outfits really. One I wore there, I wore home (lulu's and a hoodie) and I wore one other loose Capri and tank. That was it, oh and clean undies..... I would not reuse those lol :) I could have left 50% at home.

Hope that helps! good luck! It is amazing! Four days out and feeling great.....with gas-x lol

Maureen H.
on 2/14/15 1:03 pm
VSG on 10/30/14

Your own pillows! I brought two and was so glad. The ones in the hospital don't have nearly enough support and I was glad I had extras to prop me in the most comfortable spot. I had to have my phone charger and my iPad. Glad I did because I was up moving around 2 hours after surgery and ended up being quite bored in the hospital after the first day. Not everyone feels as good as I did immediately, but you'll be glad you have those items if you end up like I felt. 

Kathy S.
on 2/15/15 12:57 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130