What To Bring To The Hospital

luxurycouture
on 2/11/15 7:57 am

My surgery is .on February 17th. Any recommendations for things that I should bring to the hospital or have someone bring to me? I want your hospital advice! 

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

Cathy W.
on 2/11/15 8:18 am

For me, one of the best things I brought was lip balm.  My lips were really dry and I used it quite a bit.  

OH has information on what to bring so check it out.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

rocky513
on 2/11/15 8:20 am - WI

The hospital will provide you with everything you need (tooth brush, tooth paste, soap, deodorant, lotion, shampoo, comb, nightgown, slippers, etc). You will pay for it, whether you use it or not.  It will all be in your room when you wake up, so you might as well use it.  

You won't feel like doing much other than sleeping.  Walking will REALLY help with the excess gas.  They have robes there to cover your "assets", but some people bring their own for walking the halls.  Walk as often as you can.

Chapstick helps a lot.  My lips were so dried out.  

I didn't even have the energy to read a magazine.  Remember... you have to take all that crap home with you when you go.  

Bring a pillow to hold against your incision on the ride home.  The bouncing around in the car hurts after surgery!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

NinaCanDOit
on 2/11/15 9:29 am
RNY on 06/27/14

I packed basic essentials for any weekend getway - reading material/ipad/phone chargers, fave toiletries -lip balm (best stuff in the world), face wash(amazing and kept me from feeling gross), tooth brush/paste and qtips) and loose fitting jersey dress/pants for the ride home (I went with dress b/c I couldn't wear anything around my waist right after). 

I took it all in my regular big carry-on bag and had everything in mesh, see through bags so if I needed something I could ask a family member or nurse to get it for me and it was easily visible. 

I know there are hospital versions of most of this, but I found it comforting to have my own things and I'm particular bc I have sensitive skin.

Also, depending on hair length you may want clips, barrettes or elastics to keep your hair out of your face.  Good luck!

HW - 392 * CW - 200 * * * Lost - 192, To Goal - 40

"almost there,...keep going,...stay focused,...eyes on the prize" - the guy at my gym

crqvingchange
on 2/11/15 9:34 am

One of the things that helped me the most was earplugs.  You will be very tired and the noises in the hospital will keep waking you up, earplugs help with that.  Also a pillow to put against your stomach for the ride home, but you can leave that in the car.  My throat was extremely sore after surgery so on the way home I had my husband buy Chloraseptic Max sore throat relief which really helped.  Good luck, you've got this.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

csbsteph
on 2/11/15 10:25 am - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

someone close to me is considering surgery & I was thinking that it would be nice to fix her up a hospital stay basket; like the above folks mentioned bring something for your lips they will be dry, & a comfy pair of house shoes with a hard sole because you'll probably & should have to do some walk down the hall laps.  Other stuff should be hospital provided like tooth brush & paste...soap, I'm weird I guess about baby wipes because I carry them every where I go anyway...half the stuff you pack you probably won't use but remember chapstick & nice house shoes.  Good luck with everything.

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

MickeyDee
on 2/11/15 10:59 am

Definitely keep it minimal;  I used to read about people who packed like they were going to Europe or something!

Loose fitting clothes to go home. walking slippers are good, and yes, a pillow to clutch to your tummy.

Tracie G.
on 2/11/15 12:42 pm
RNY on 01/21/15

I wish I would have taken my own protein supplement.  The one my hospital provided was extremely nasty, so I had my hubby go out and find some.  Also, my surgery was at 7am on Wednesday and I didn't shower until Friday morning, so the wipes I took helped me feel a little cleaner  (and human) in between.

NikkyBeauty
on 2/11/15 6:10 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Hey my surgery is on the 18th!! I was told to bring nothing as everything I need will be provided but I'm going to bring clothes to go home in,undies,chapstick,brush and my phone charger just in case I'm able to use my phone. But good luck with surgery!

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

Pegasus_AM
on 2/11/15 7:26 pm

I'm from Ontario,Canada and I was advised to pack as if I was going on vacation. I have to pack all the necessary toiletries (hairbrush,shampoo,conditioner,soap,toothpaste,toothbrush,hand lotion, lip balm, sanitary pads, etc..) I was also advised to bring my own pillow and blanket for my own comfort, they do provide those but they noticed patients that brought their own sleep better while in hospital. I was advised to bring comfortable loose fitting clothing for the drive home and that's all I can remember at the moment. Maybe it would be helpful to call your hospital to see if they provide your toiletries ??? I know personally myself I'm going to go out and but some brand me socks, I love the feel of new socks and it will hopefully make me feel a little better post-op to have on my cozy new socks lol I also plan to bring my tablet encase I feel like watching a movie or reading an e-book. Good-Luck and Speedy Recovery

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130