My 600 Lb LIfe-Penney my first time seeing this episode

shakeitoff
on 2/11/15 1:16 am
VSG on 03/09/15

First time I have seen this episode.  For all the things I have had to do prior to surgery how did this woman ever get cleared for surgery?  I have had  multiple weight goals to meet prior to surgery.   Even though I surpassed the goal to have surgery they changed it and set another lower one.  Didn't they do a psych evaulation?  I have questions before on people this particular Dr has done surgery on.  One thing he does that I do agree with is say that Once you start making excuses your in trouble.

This show scares my daughters with the complications and troubles people have.  I tell them I have had no problem losing weight prior to surgery and plus I weigh a lot less to start with.  I think the show makes it look like you go the Dr say I want the surgery and then have it.  Doesn't show all the insurnace, or self pay options, pre op diets, exercise and tests you need done prior.

Maria27
on 2/11/15 1:50 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I agree with you and had the same concerns when I started watching the show. But I have come to realize that the doctor is just doing what he thinks is best for the patients. There is a real concern with some of his patients that they will won't come back if he doesn't agree to the surgery and die from their extreme weight. The pre-surgery goals are important for most patients, but I understand why he waives them for some patients. They are just so high risk, he is trying to save their lives, and there is a real concern that they will give up if he makes it too hard. It is far from ideal, but being such a high weight is life threatening. Even when the surgery is not entirely successful, they are usually still better off than they were before the surgery. Just think how much more weight she could gain if left to her own devices!

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

kathkeb
on 2/11/15 2:01 am

At 600 pounds, I believe that all, if not mos of his patients are on disability.

I am sure his staff works out the insurance details, and they don't take airtime to show that aspect.

Same with the psych eval ... There probably was one or more that we don't see .... And who knows how she answered the psych.

She may have talked her 'crap' about knowing that she would have to work at this, and make changes .... People lie all the time.

Kath

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 2/11/15 3:22 am
VSG on 12/06/12

Addicts are the best manipulators in the world. Plus I am thinking the show pays for the surgery.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/11/15 4:25 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

^^^  The show does pay for the surgery and the doctor discounts his services.  It's great advertising for him, except when he has a patient like Penny although you can't hold him accountable for her behavior.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 2/11/15 4:29 am
VSG on 12/06/12

I think he was pretty realistic with her when he lectured her in the room. Then she admits in another episode she was pouring soda on cereal. I think the real crime is that the Duggars make so much money.

Kathy S.
on 2/11/15 4:40 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I use to watch this show but found I got so mad at the fact they were given a gift that most would kill for and they seemed to throw it away...  I felt they needed to work on the issues between their ears more before re-arranging their plumbing.  Oh, and the families and the enabling just made me want to grab them through the TV.

One show (can't remember the guys name) he was doing great but the crap his Mom cooked him made me nuts. Hotdogs without a bun? REALLY!!!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 2/11/15 4:46 am
VSG on 12/06/12

The one in the wheelchair who had lost too much weight? So mom started feeding him all kinds of crap and then he ended up big again?

Valerie G.
on 2/11/15 5:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I swear every episode is the same kind of patient.  I tried watching the show 3 times and was so disgusted that I stopped watching it anymore.  It ****** me off the people they select for an episode.  They are casting us all in a poor light.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 2/11/15 9:10 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

They have showed some really good success stories. A lot of them start off bad then get their head in the game and do pretty decent.