It really is just a tool!

Willie H.
on 2/10/15 2:04 am
VSG on 08/26/14

I do have to tell you, the sleeve surgery is just a tool. I was sleeved on Aug 26, 2014 and my first 3 months I lost weight very rapidly! My last couple of months have almost been nada. No doubt if you get the sleeve you do have to work hard at it. I was on a stall for a month, then I got injured in my hip and right side. I did not exercise for awhile but was impressed that while I did not lose any weight I also did not gain any. Eventually I got back to some bad habits and although with the sleeve I could not eat much I did get away from protein, fluids and eating correctly and  before I knew it I had gained 4 lbs back! I'm not blaming the Sleeve, I'm blaming my self for the lapse and it taught me that the sleeve is just a tool but that if I am not up on it my weight can creep back up on to me! So not to be be discouraging but just keep in mind that the surgery really is not a miracle cure, it's a tool that helps us but we as the user have to weld it properly. 

So am I discouraged, disappointed or upset? Nah, i just know that what got me to this point was my bad habits and if there was any chance of me getting overly confident, well, the last few weeks have shot it down. Back to the drawing board, back to the program, gaining the 4 lbs was a real wake up call! Although only one day back, I'm back in the gym again and eating correctly and it feels great!!!! It's not going to be as easy as i thought it would, but I'll keep on as best as I can.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

MickeyDee
on 2/10/15 2:08 am

Good man!  It's always a challenge but always something good to do for yourself.

Berryhoosier
on 2/10/15 2:33 am
RNY on 12/17/14

Thanks for such a great reminder.  Good for you for getting back at it after only 4 pounds.  I see success in your future!

Cathy W.
on 2/10/15 3:09 am

Great reminder for everyone.  Your positive outlook on this situation is wonderful.  The great thing for you is that you are considering this a wake up call at four pounds.  Not 14, 24, or 40 pounds but 4.  You have much success ahead.  

Thanks for the inspiration.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Tracy D.
on 2/11/15 3:10 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You go, Willie! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/15 10:02 am - Portland, OR
RNY on 05/04/15

Kudos Willie! My dietitian says it's not the people who never slip up who have the most long-term success; it's those who get back on track quickest after their slip-ups.

Willie H.
on 2/11/15 10:53 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Thank you. It really is a learning curve-years of self-destruction have to be un-entrenched! (Is that a word?) well, I'm sure you get my point. Thanks

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Zee Starrlite
on 2/12/15 3:42 am, edited 2/12/15 3:42 am

Willie - good you had this lesson this early out.  There are no short  cuts nor easy way outs.  Somewhere along the journey we have to pay the price or end up where we were or in a worse place.   So we have to do what we needed to do in the first place - eat healthy balanced meals and move our bodies.  Always protein first for us, ALWAYS.  That is the only way our tool actually works in the long term.

Hey you do not have far to go and you WILL reach your goals!

All Best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Willie H.
on 2/12/15 4:08 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Thank you, that was very encouraging!