Help meeee!

CrimsonCardinal
on 2/10/15 12:30 am - Batavia, NY
VSG on 02/01/16

Alright, I'm at the point in my surgical process where I have to make a decision.

So here it is, I am leaning towards rny but just wanted to know if anyone had any regrets and wish they had gotten sleeved.  I am 21 years old and this is a big choice.

I take oral birth control and am kind of wary of changing that. I love ibuprofen.

But I don't have acid reflux and I'm worried just the sleeve won't be enough to help me because I'm easy to be detoured.

I thought the process of dumping may help me stay focused. 

Any input on any of these options?

tyx3mom
on 2/10/15 12:46 am

I Already HAD My Children when I chose RNY. My daughter has not and she chose the sleeve. I supported her decision because I think see can have children in the future with no Mal absorption.  THIS Is mY opinion. Do your  research and make the decision that is right for you. Ps. I have lost 135 and kept it off for 11 years within 10 lbs. My daughter is 6 months out and is already down 126 lbs. Good luck

I have lost 115#'s.  I had my surgery on January 20, 2004.

tyx3mom
on 2/10/15 12:47 am

Oops typo. I'm down 115.

I have lost 115#'s.  I had my surgery on January 20, 2004.

CrimsonCardinal
on 2/10/15 1:01 am - Batavia, NY
VSG on 02/01/16

Thank you so much for your input. I do want kids one day. But not at this point.

Kate -True Brit
on 2/10/15 12:50 am - UK
On February 10, 2015 at 8:30 AM Pacific Time, CrimsonCardinal wrote:

Alright, I'm at the point in my surgical process where I have to make a decision.

So here it is, I am leaning towards rny but just wanted to know if anyone had any regrets and wish they had gotten sleeved.  I am 21 years old and this is a big choice.

I take oral birth control and am kind of wary of changing that. I love ibuprofen.

But I don't have acid reflux and I'm worried just the sleeve won't be enough to help me because I'm easy to be detoured.

I thought the process of dumping may help me stay focused. 

Any input on any of these options?

Don't rely on dumping, I forget the percentage but only around half of RNY people dump!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

CrimsonCardinal
on 2/10/15 1:02 am - Batavia, NY
VSG on 02/01/16

Thanks a lot. I talked it over with my surgeon and I think I'm going to try the sleeve. C:

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/10/15 1:06 am

Ibuprofen is contraindicated for sleevers, too. Only about 30% of RnYers dump. You can eat your way around ANY surgery.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/10/15 1:28 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Birth control, oral or not, is super important regardless of which surgery you choose-- fertility tends to pick up quite a bit after losing weight. Have you looked into the implant or IUD? Neither are affected by WLS.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Ladytazz
on 2/10/15 9:17 am

If you were my daughter I would advice you to get the sleeve.  Malabsorption is nothing to play with.  Really, there is no medical advantage to malabsorption.  It does not help your health, in fact it gives you a medical condition that needs to be monitored for the rest of your life and at 21 that is a long time.

The sleeve is not perfect but really there isn't a perfect WLS at this time.  There are advantages and disadvantages to all of them and it's not a one size fits all.  Many need malabsorption because their metabolism may have been compromised by years of dieting and weight loss but at your age chances are you should be able to lose weight fine with just restriction.

Whatever procedure you choose you still will benefit by addressing your eating issues and dealing with them.  WLS will help that process but it won't cure eating problems.  If you are an emotional eater now you still will be after surgery.  

When of the hardest truths I had to face after my first WLS was that in the end I had to do the exact same things to lose weight after surgery as I did before I had surgery.  I felt so cheated.  I really thought that having surgery would turn me into a normal person, or what I thought a normal person was, someone who could eat whatever they wanted and not gain weight.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

huskergalWsD
on 2/11/15 1:25 am

This will be easy. I am Queen of Rny Wls regrets. I wanted The stomach smaller is all. I rushed into this too fast. So I had Rny. Whats done is done , I am living with it. Or am I. Now I cant do alot of the things they say you can do after weight loss. Hernias are no fun, if you move the wrong way it pops out. So I cant go to a gym. Most I can do anymore is walking for exercise. The surgeon that is going to do my Hernia repair (not my Wls surgeon)told me he wont do the Rny anymore because of all the complications Post op. Oh how I wish I had met him before I had my Rny.

Yes the dumping does keep you focused on your eating habits.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~