pain medications for chronic issues

Nancy
on 2/7/15 7:43 pm, edited 2/8/15 2:03 am - Kasson, MN

I have had problems with many medications since I have had the surgery.  I have a lot of injuries and it has been a battle for me.   I have finally found a doctor that will prescribe me the medication that I am able to tolerate.  Anyone else have this issue?

iloveravens
on 2/8/15 12:22 am
RNY on 08/13/14

No, I try to stay away from most pain meds.  My sister is prescription drug addict and I've seen the horrible effects it has.  I just stick with Tylenol and only need it once/month for cramps.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Nancy
on 2/8/15 1:59 am, edited 2/8/15 2:00 am - Kasson, MN

Unfortunately I have had to many surgeries and injuries, not to mention my whole lower back is bad with bulging discs, so Tylenol don't do anything for me even if I take it 4 times a day.  I have had problems with muscle relaxers, neurological drugs, been through a year of pysical therapy, tens units, heating pads, topical medications.  I wanted to know if other people who have chronic pain have had problems with taking medications?

Heidi S.
on 3/24/16 2:11 pm - Sheboygan, WI

She's talking about chronic pain. Not one Tylenol in a month. I have chronic pain and the only meds. that work for me is Methadone and liquid Norco. I had my surgery in 2003.

Gwen M.
on 2/8/15 2:07 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I haven't had much of an issue, but I've been lucky that a low dose of tramadol will take care of things when I've had extended pain problems.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/8/15 8:23 am

I have back issues/ sciatica. My doc had no problem prescribing some narco, but most I need is 30 per months (:and not even that).  I typically take 1/2 narco with 1 typenol and that helps me. 

But maintaining my lower weight, plus yoga,  chiropractor, acupuncture,  walking are best way for me to make sure my pain is under control. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Nancy
on 2/8/15 11:57 am, edited 2/8/15 11:58 am - Kasson, MN

Inversion table has been the best for sciatic nerve and lower back pain.  I bought one for under a hundred bucks at fleet farm. I have had shoulder, ankle, wrist and many other surgery's.  I just ache really bad all the time where my injuries are!

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/8/15 12:00 pm

Thanks. I have one for over 10 years. They are good..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Amy R.
on 2/9/15 1:41 pm, edited 2/9/15 1:41 pm

I've had some issues with pain meds since surgery - mainly they seem to wear off faster.  And of course I miss my ibuprofen terribly. Fortunately my doc is very understanding and when the pain gets intolerable I have patches I can wear that release the drug right into my system.  That way it bypasses my stomach and lasts much much longer.

Good luck to you.  It's hard to find what works, we are all different and our journeys are so individual.  I will say I've had MUCH less need for pain meds overall since I've lost the weight.

siberiancat
on 2/11/15 12:23 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I have bulging discs in back and neck and have had surgery for ruptured disc.  I also have arthritis in spine, joints and hands.  I can't take arthritis pain meds and Tylenol doesn't help.  I do take narcotics when I have pancreatic pain.

I take a muscle relaxer at bedtime and sleep under an electric blanket which really helps.  I use rest, ice, heat, massage, PT, etc.  I also use essential oils - diffuse them or apply directly.  I have roll-on applicators for some of the pain relieving oils and they help me so much.  The brand I use is Young Living.  I also sometimes use homeopathic meds.  You can get them at Vitamin Shoppe or health food stores.

It is tough not being able to use NSAIDS and other anti-inflammatory medications.

My weight loss has lessened the pain in weight bearing joints but not in my hands - and I use my hands all the time (duh!).

I find spiritual meditation helpful.  Staying active and serving others helps me not be so focused on myself.

Best wishes, 

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery