Hi all. I'm in UK but looking to revise from sleeve to bypass

districtnurseuk
on 2/7/15 3:25 pm

9 years ago I had a lap band and lost 140 pounds . I had complications , had it removed twice , new ports , gastric reflux etc and regained 50 pounds.

I travelled in July to Czech republic and had the band removed and revision to sleeve gastrectomy.

I lost 10 pounds.

That's it.

It didn't work , the bougie is too large and my appetites raging.

I'm 40 in may. 

I work as a nurse.

I cannot shift this weight , does anyone know if a bypass would work for me . ? Thanks.

Kate -True Brit
on 2/8/15 12:13 am - UK

Sorry you are having problems  Do you actually know that your sleeve was not done properly? In general the Czech hosptials which work with UK companies are pretty good and have offices over here as well. Can you check in with them? Although most sleeved oeople seem to feel much less hunger, not all do. I have in fact got a friend whose hunger, two years post-sleeve, is constant and ferocious. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

MsBatt
on 2/8/15 4:40 am

I suggest that since you already have a Sleeve, you look into getting the intestinal portion added to your Sleeve for a complete Duodenal Switch. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period. Do you have any health problems, like diabetes or high cholesterol? The DS is also the best at resolving or preventing these diseases. Also, since you'd be keeping your Sleeve, you'd still be able to take NSAIDs.

Hislady
on 2/8/15 5:43 am - Vancouver, WA

Also your hunger could very well be from acid reflux are you using any kind of anti acid? If not try some and see if that doesn't calm your hunger. Nine times out of 10 hunger is from reflux.

hipswishingvinegarball
on 2/8/15 8:15 am

Gosh, you already have half of the most effective surgery there is, minus the malabsorption. The only logical revision would seem to be the DS (unless you have a surgeon that only knows RNY). I'd never let a surgeons skill what surgery I'd live with for life, so make sure you do your research first. 

Keeping your own pyloric valve from sleeve or DS (NOT with RNY) will enable to to take nsaids through your life for pain, and avoid the increased risk of dumping or reactive hypoglycemia.