Psych meds and RNY

healthy2be
on 2/7/15 7:05 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I have bipolar disorder and really need my psych meds to function.  Will I have to wait for a certain amount of time following my surgery to restart these meds?  I know that the med forms and doses will probably change, but really not looking forward to having to deal with life without my antidepressant and anti psychotic for any extended length of time.  I spiral down into depression or up into mania pretty quickly without them.  The anxiety and sleep meds I can survive longer without (survive, not thrive), but the other two I need to stay out of the hospital.  I know that this is a question for the pdoc and surgeon to brainstorm on, but need a little reassurance from those who have "been there, done that, got the t shirt to prove it."  Thanks.

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/15 7:53 am

I can't answer since I haven't  been sleeved yet but I did go to my psych to get clarification on my meds and when I can take them, I don't think pple understand how critical the timing of the meds are and the consistency. I would call your personal psych for info and you can take a list of meds to the hospital with you so that when you need them they are ready for you. Please be well and I am hoping for both of us that there will be no need for med adjustments post surg. It was so hard getting stabilized I just don't want to go thru that all again. I would cancel my appmt if I thought that were an issue but my psych and surgeon assured me that I should be ok, with the sleeve absorption of like Lexapro takes place in the small intestines not the stomach. Not sure about your procedure, ask ask ask, it's your health. best wishes to you going forward.

TexasTerritory
on 2/7/15 8:34 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I was able to take my antidepressants after surgery. But my depression is mild.

Valerie G.
on 2/7/15 11:04 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You'll want to be in close contact with your psych, and be mindful of any changes in your moodsj so you can make adjustments asap.  You may need to tweek your med dosage, or a different kind altogether, but some need no changes at all. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/15 11:42 am

agreed