1 week out and worried about where my mind is

clarkahill
on 2/7/15 2:12 am

So I have become addicted to this forum...it has been very helpful.

I am 8 days out from my surgery.  It has been a hard week, but I have lost 14 lbs so that is what I am going to focus on.

One of the underlying things I keep reading is that you can never eat this or that.  Obviously why I had surgery was that I was addicted to food and I needed something more than a diet to help me get my weight off...I have successfully lost a lot of weight through diets in the past but gained all of the weight back and more.  I have tried every diet under the sun.  I went into this surgery thinking that this would fix my weight gain issue.  I had heard how people were never hungry after the surgery...but I am realizing this past week that the urges are just as strong to eat a cookie as they were before I had the surgery.

So here is my question...How important is it to see a therapist on my addiction to food?  The surgery kind of stretched me financially plus I have young kids and work so trying to find 2 hours out of my schedule to see a therapist weekly is stressful thought to me.  I am dedicated to this weight loss, so if this is what I have to do I will figure it out.  By the way exercising is not a problem to me...I was working out 5 days a week before the surgery...truly my issue is the addiction to food...I am missing a bite of cake...pizza...the list could go on...and I am only 8 days out.

Next question...if I go to a therapist...is this a life time commitment or is there a end date?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Modest_Phoenix
on 2/7/15 2:50 am, edited 2/7/15 2:51 am

Addictions are nasty and they are real.  If you find you can't afford a therapist please seek out an Overeaters Anonymous in your area. They base their program on the 12-step model of Alcoholics Anonymous.  I'm a huge supporter of 12-step programs because one saved my life.  They are free or donation based.  The program I attended asked for a $2 donation per meeting but no one is turned away if they can't donate.  There's literature you can buy that can help you work the program, but it isn't necessary.  If you live in an area that has different groups or meetings check them all out before committing to a home group.  If there's not an OA meeting in your area try an AA meeting.  The addictions are exactly the same just the words are different. Step1: Admit we are powerless over alcohol/food/drugs/relationships and that our lives have become unmanageable. Remember that weight loss surgery is only on your stomach not your mind.  It takes more than willpower to overcome addictions, it takes new coping skills too.  Just another part of the tool kit. 

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/7/15 3:24 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I felt a lot of the same feelings -- that head hunger is really difficult -- and the fact that you see it is a HUGE advantage.

I benefitted by speaking to a counselor for a few months who specialized in eating disorders and addiction.  It was odd to be in a waiting room with a bunch of typical weighed or anorexic women -- but really, addiction to food and overeating are very closely related. I had started the counseling about a month before surgery as I thought that establishing a relationship would help me in the months after surgery.  

In any case, for me, it was definitely helpful.  I went weekly for the first few months and now I only go when something arises that I feel needs another person to bounce things off of.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Cathy W.
on 2/7/15 4:01 am

Our surgeons operated on our insides, unfortunately not on our brains.  I commend you for having this awareness only 8 days post-op.

I've had two periods of weight regain and lost them but the second round, I worked with a therapist.  I had to get to the issues of why I turned to food and was such an emotional eater.  I had to get to the source and develop strategies to deal with my food addiction.  I think the head issues are an important part of WLS.  

You invested in yourself by having WLS. I encourage you to invest in yourself to help you deal with your addiction so you don't regain and live life without your addiction running your life.  Whether you go to OA/AA, therapist or other mental health professional, go! You'll be glad you did.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Gwen M.
on 2/7/15 6:20 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think seeing a therapist is really important.  I've been seeing mine every week since before surgery.  My co-pay is only $25, so that's pretty awesome.  I think that she has helped me a lot - or she's helped me to help myself.  I see it as a life-time commitment, but I also figure that, at some point, I might go to every other week.  Or once a month.  But right now I'm really grateful to check in with her once a week.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Mary Gee
on 2/7/15 8:17 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
Therapy can be helpful, but it's not for everyone. I tried it a few times. There are different types of therapy too. If you find a therapist you "click" with, you'll probably get a lot out of it. You don't have to go every week, maybe twice a month. One suggestion I have is trying different recipes for sweets. Check out the Recipes forum and also the world according to egg face . com. Shelly has great recipes for protein ice cream, shakes, muffins, etc. You may find that helpful. Best wishes for continued success.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/7/15 8:34 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Like so many people have said, the surgery is on our stomachs not our heads. You really have to get at the root of your eating. Figuring out your triggers & finding ways to deal with it can be a challenge & a therapist or some type of support group can help you with this.

If you're addicted to carbs, you'll have to white knuckle the withdrawal from it, the cravings will still be there but it won't feel as overpowering as when you started. Head hunger will still be there but at least you'll know that's all that it is. 

For me, moderation has worked pretty well, but I know what my trigger foods are & I don't keep it in the house, or if I want a taste I find substitutes or buy a bite size of whatever it is I crave but I have to accept the consequences of my actions, mainly weight loss will likely stall, when I think like that, my cravings don't feel as strong as it used to feel.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Nancy
on 2/7/15 6:46 pm - Kasson, MN

I think it is really important for you to nip this in the butt now.  You just had this surgery and want to be successful the rest of your life with it.  I think I am addicted to food to, but I have made better food choices for my life and I feel like I am not really missing out.  It is changing choices that keep your weight off to foods that are just as great as those foods you use to like before.  If there is something I really want, I cut the carb content out of it (pizza just eat the topping off it) and can still enjoy them things I use to like.