Menopause and weight gain

sandracurtis
on 2/9/15 9:49 pm, edited 2/9/15 9:53 pm - Ashby, MN

I am now 5 years out and had been down to 156lbs from 319lbs at the time of my surgery.  3 years ago I had an emergency hystorectomy and now I have gained roughly 30lbs back again and I can not stop it.  I just turned 40 this year and this is killing me.  Between the menopause and the HRT (both which boast weight gain as a side effect....AWESOME!!!)  I can not stop the weight gain.  I have changed nothing else, still eat the same and work out the same, actually I have been trying to work out more and that is not helping at all, still gaining.  Anyone else have this issue?  What have you done to take the weight back off?  Please let me know if you just want to talk about your experience with it all.  Being younger when it started doesn't help either because I have a lot of years to go before it is over now.  

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/9/15 11:07 pm

I had normal change, and yes, it may be more difficult, but i can lose weight. Or maintain it.  Onky when i eat o much, or the wrong things, i gain, and then gain really fast. 

You may be looking at 2 things - the hormonal changes plus typical regain a few years after WLS. 

The fact "i didn't change what i eat" may indicate that you eat to much, or wrong things. 

I cut out most starches, grains and sugars from my diet.  I eat meat, fish, eggs, non strachy veggies, nuts, healthy fat... I don't eat most fruits - because of the sugar. I still have some, but not a lot and mostly berries. 

Beside that i try to keep active (yoga, walking, hiking,  etc) but nothing to drastic. 

Is it extreme ? Some may say so..but i don't go hungry, i eat veriaty of foods, and very little pricesssed food (like protein bars).  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sandracurtis
on 2/10/15 12:18 am - Ashby, MN

I am pretty careful with how much I eat and I haven't had sugar or processed foods in 5 years now because I get so sick from it.  I know the hormones I have to be on because of the severe menopause symptoms have the #1 side effect as weight gain and my GB surgeon, nut. And GP have all agreed I am doing everything right but still gaining.  If I could sleep without the HRT, night sweats got so bad I would wake up with pruned fingers and toes they were so bad, I would stop them.  I am thinking that I will have to back to the beginning and start with all liquids again for awhile because that is the only thing I haven't tried

Lily2
on 2/10/15 5:36 am

I did not realize that hormone replacement meds made you gain weight?!  I've been on the max mini vale patch ( 2 patches 2 x wkly) plus progesterone.  I wonder if this will hinder weight loss?  I have just started my pre op medical apps.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/10/15 11:33 pm

Check this link.

http://www.healthline.com/health-blogs/hold-that-pause/study-says-low-estrogen-causes-weight-gain-menopause

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/10/15 11:35 am

I am on full HRT last 4 years... I gain or lose only if i add to many carbs to my diet, or when i reduce them. 

Post what you eating and how much and let's have a look. 

Lily2
on 2/11/15 1:21 am

I am off to my first nutritionist appt. When I get home I will post what a typical day is for me.

huskergalWsD
on 2/9/15 11:08 pm

Have some Lab work done, maybe Thyroid problems or something else. I am in menopause and have not had any regain. I am not on any medication for it though. I have heard medication cause gaining weight, espically antidepressants..

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

Felicia O'Connor
on 2/9/15 11:50 pm - South Pasadena, CA
RNY on 02/09/09 with

Hi

I am 6 years out as of yesterday and i totally forgot. I too have gained 20 lbs and though i believe  i too am going threw the change. i dont eat much as well, and i am active too. I was in hospital in june for low blood and iron, since i have built up my blood levels, weight is creeping up on me. Should be go back to basic's? liquid only and then introduce the soilds again? I will be flowing your journey. I am 43 yrs old.

sandracurtis
on 2/10/15 12:20 am - Ashby, MN

I have been thinking that it would be beneficial for me to start at the beginning again because it is the only thing I haven't tried and all the doctors and nutritionist day I am doing everything right