How long is the process? -I'm nervous

TheNewErica
on 2/9/15 9:45 am

Im scared more than nervous...

I have my very first appt to meet the surgeon next Monday. I'm ready, and I have tons of questions.

Like how long does it typically take before you have a surgery date? 2 weeks? 2 months? 2 years?...

How long till you know if your insurance covers it?

My husband and I wanna do this together, can we? Should we?

I don't want to tell my work, or even some family members. Is that wrong?

I want to have a baby before I'm 30. I'll be 27 in March...when  can we safely start trying? Will I have a normal pregnancy?

Will I really never have a slice of pizza or a beer ever again?

How much weight can I expect to lose in 3 months? 6 months? 12 months?

Do I try to do it by myself again? I have lost and gained 100lbs before. I'm tired of failing. Im tired of wasting my life.

I have so many thoughts. I want this change more than anything.... It just a HUGE decision.

Did anyone else have an overwhelming amount of random thoughts? I feel excited and scared all at once.

So happy I found this forum. Any advice/ words of encouragement welcome. :)

Thebiggestloser
on 2/9/15 10:23 am, edited 2/9/15 10:28 am
VSG on 11/19/14

It took me 4 months from consult to surgery - it really depends on what your insurance requires 

The office will obtain authorization before surgery is scheduled 

I would have loved if my husband had done this with me... I think it's fantastic to do together. 

6 people know about my surgery... That's just been my choice for now. 

I am 29 - I had this surgery so that I could safely carry a child. I have no children, surgeon tells me I can start trying 18-24 months post op. 

Your weight loss really depends on you.

I have had one glass of wine since surgery but I don't really want another. I have had no desire to eat pizza since surgery. My sleeve holds so little that most of what I eat is dense protein in order to meet my goals. Surgery fixes your stomach not your brain. 

I also tried to one last ditch on my own Diet and lost 60lbs. When I regained the 60 plus 15lbs I consulted with bariatric surgeon. 

I am 3 months out and I have zero regrets so far. Surgery was a breeze and I have had zero complications. 

TheNewErica
on 2/9/15 10:28 am

Wow. Thank you! Glad to hear such positive thoughts. Love that you said it was a "breeze". Complications are why I worry so much...

Thebiggestloser
on 2/9/15 10:32 am
VSG on 11/19/14

Complications were a big concern for me too. Not sure what surgery you are looking at but my surgeons complication rates were less than a routine gallbladder removal. So that really puts it in prospective. 

Thebiggestloser
on 2/9/15 10:33 am
VSG on 11/19/14

Pre op diet was waaaaaay harder than recovery lol

Gwen M.
on 2/9/15 10:25 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It depends on your insurance company for a lot of this.  

You and your husband might be able to do it together - that could be cool since you'd have the same diet.  

Not telling people isn't wrong, but you shouldn't lie and you should be aware that people might gossip.  I think it's better to control the information that's out there.  

WLS won't hurt pregnancy, of course you need to let your medical team know so you can make sure you're getting proper nutrition for you and your fetus.  Most people are told to wait a year before trying to get pregnant, and to actively prevent, with two different methods, before that.  

Pizza and beer won't help you lose weight.  You -can- eat anything you want, but it might not be the best choice.  

How much weight you'll lose depends on you.  Everyone loses at a different rate.  

Surgery was a great decision for me.  I love my VSG and I love my post-op life.  Feel free to read through my blog - I've been keeping it since before my surgery!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

TheNewErica
on 2/9/15 10:30 am

Thank you! Great suggestions. And yes, pizza and beer were just two extremes I chose. I actually hardly drink, lol. I just heard that some foods are on a "never eating again" list. Maybe that was wrong info.

thanks for clarifying:)

Gwen M.
on 2/9/15 10:32 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Part of the reason I chose VSG is because I -can- eat anything I want to.  I choose not to, but I can.  Nothing will make me sick or anything.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/10/15 1:41 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Some of this can be answered by your dr & the insurance people. The surgery date depends on your surgeon & his requirements as well as the insurance & their requirements. Usually once everything is met & all the paperwork is thru you should know that week, but it's best to check b4 hand to make sure its even covered.

It's totally cool that you & your husband will go thru it together.

The baby thing, ck with the dr & make sure to bring your gynecologist on board as to your intentions & timeline.

With the vsg yeah you can still have pizza and beer & you can gain back the weight you're trying to lose too. You can eat around any wls, so you should get your head into the game b4 proceeding further.

For me, moderation has worked best. I'm not into beer but I do like to drink, but I hardly drink anymore other than a special occasion & even then I'll drink out of a shot glass or nurse a drink all night. Frisco posted a pizza alternative that looked real good, so you don't have to say goodbye to pizza. Refined carbs is a definite no no.

The amount of weight you lose & keep off depends on you. Good Luck on your weight loss journey!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

TheNewErica
on 2/10/15 2:37 am

Thanks so much for the reply!

I can't wait to talk to the doctor and learn if it will be covered.

I really should have stated: I'm not a drinker. I only drink at a special occasion myself. I just picked two extremes.

Youre right, most days I feel like my head is in the game, then at times I have doubts. I am already working with a health coach and I am eating clean, small, frequent meals, and I'm actually enjoying it! But I do enjoy a cheat day every now and then; and I thought things like a slice of pizza was out forever. I just learned I was mislead and you are not restricted from those things. I understand that those items are not going to help me lose weight and trust me, I am not looking for a quick fix here. But in the future, 5-10-15 years down the road, I want to have the option to go on vacation and have a margarita if I want one. 

For a while I thought this was too drastic a change for me, but now I think it will be the tool to getting my life back.