So its nearly 10 years after wls what do you look like now.......*Photo*

Lily2
on 2/9/15 8:14 am

Has your diabeties gone away?

MyLady Heidi
on 2/9/15 8:28 am

Yes I left the hospital off my diabetes meds and never returned to them.  I have severe RH so if I eat the wrong thing with too much sugar, or I get stressed out too much especially when my hormones are in overdrive I drop very badly.  This just happened the other night, my bs was 45 went up crashed again, ate and crashed a third time.  Since going through the beginning of menopause the RH is much worse at times.  The hormones really screw with you.  My morning bs is typically the low 70's.

Lily2
on 2/9/15 8:39 am

Just becoming a diabetic and I mean like just last week I'm still not diabetic savvy.  What is RH? And not sure how numbers should be but mine were in the high 200's and now on met form for 4 days they've gone down to 140-160 range.  I'm am also in CT, where did you ave your surgery?

MyLady Heidi
on 2/9/15 8:50 am

RH is reactive hypoglycemia, and it means if I eat something with too much sugar or carbs now my blood sugar can tumble down into the really low not able to function numbers like 45.  You are shooting for 70-90 as a normal morning blood sugar, that would be ideal.  Your numbers are better but still not ideal.  I had my surgery in Middletown at Middlesex with Aranow.  He is a great surgeon and I believe he does the sleeve now laproscopically as well as the RNY, which is what I had. 

Lily2
on 2/9/15 9:10 am

Not sure why your numbers would drop after eating carbs or sugar instead of going up, but again, I'm fairly new to all this.  So is this a problem I may get after surgery?  I am having my RNY at Hartford Hospital, Dr Tishler

Lily2
on 2/9/15 9:11 am

And btw, you look fabulous!  I can only hope I will do as good as you have

MyLady Heidi
on 2/9/15 9:40 am

Thanks

MyLady Heidi
on 2/9/15 9:40 am

What happens is you eat sugar/carbs and your body over orders insulin production due to the altered anatomy absorption of food, so as your bs may go up initially it goes way down once after the over abundance of insulin goes into your blood stream.  It is a common issue for people with rny, it can be controlled with diet, but you have to be very careful.

Lily2
on 2/9/15 10:49 am

Thanks for the information.  I hope I can learn all of the ins and outs of RNY and how to live with it successfully as you have done

MyLady Heidi
on 2/9/15 10:57 am

You can, not everyone dumps, its has helped me maintain though, I just have to be very careful.

Good Luck.