So the beginning really is hard..

Klynn92
on 2/9/15 5:54 am

Trying so hard to get all my liquids in and protien but it's super hard when you can only sip and every protien shake becomes nasty to my tastebuds half way through.. Oh and to mention my family has been non stop cooking desserts and food that they haven't cooked in years.. They chose now to do that. 

Highest weight: 250, surgery weight: 222, current weight: 214, surgery date: 2/4/15

jdvsg123
on 2/9/15 7:26 am

I can relate to the family cooking. I know they have to eat but go****s hard. Im 17 days post op and I have yet to get the required liquids in. Protein?! Even harder for me since I cant stand the taste. I'm supposed to be on the mushy stage but I cant imagine trying since I still have a problem with liquid. Vitamins take all day and by the time I've got them all in all I want is sleep!

Klynn92
on 2/9/15 9:59 am

That's awful. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time!  

Highest weight: 250, surgery weight: 222, current weight: 214, surgery date: 2/4/15

jdvsg123
on 2/9/15 10:52 am

Hopefully things get better for us all. 

STB
on 2/9/15 7:48 am
RNY on 07/21/14

It is VERY hard being a very new post op. The priorities (as I was told) is water/fluids first to prevent dehydration. The protein is very important but that will get easier the further out you are. The first thing is to stay hydrated. Immediately post op all I could tolerate was water. Maybe because your protein shake is sitting out as it takes a while to drink, it is getting too warm. Try pouring little bits into a small juice cup and then, when it is gone, refill it. That way it will always be "fresh". Lots of people can't tolerate iced drinks but others need the ice. Experiment to see what works for you. Also, just because it doesn't work today doesn't mean it won't next week as you get further out from surgery. Too bad about your family. It is a shame they are not more supportive. Take your water, protein shake, etc, and go into your room or someplace else when they do things like that. You need to create your own sanctuary where you can feel comfortable and supportive. Best of luck!

SHARON  

Klynn92
on 2/9/15 10:01 am

Yep I did much better as the day went on today. I was able to get a second protien shake in and a blender bottle of water is what I'm working on now. I tolerated Ice really well I can't do the warm drinks.. Thanks so much for the advice. 

kathkeb
on 2/9/15 9:38 am

It is like a part time job at first .. Just getting everything in and timed.

You can do this ... Make little progress every day and before you know it, it will be second hand.

As far as the family goes, that is just crap ..... Tell them that if they want that stuff to buy it outside your home and eat it out of your sight.  That type of passive aggressive non-support is a load of crap.

If they are old enoughg to 'cook dessert', they are old enough to figure out how to do it elsewhere or do without for a while.

Kath

Klynn92
on 2/9/15 10:02 am

Yea they keep making jokes that they'll eat some cake for me.. In laws they're the best! I'm only staying here cause we need some help with the kids till I'm able to do it. 

Joemac9408
on 2/9/15 10:56 am - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

I had surgery the same day as you and I've just been trying to get in more water and more protein each day, even if its just a couple of ounces.  Today was by far my best day as I got down 55 grams of protein and almost 80 ounces of liquids.  I've come a long way since the first day I was home when it took me almost 16 hours to finish a 17 ounce bottle of water.  I actually can't wait for the pureed stage to start trying different things.  

Surgery date: 2/4/15

Highest weight: 315. Pre-op diet weight: 289.  Surgery weight: 260.  Current weight: 138  Goal weight: 160 

Klynn92
on 2/9/15 10:45 pm

I think its so weird that my surgeons office doesn't have a purée stage! It goes stage 3 fu liquids to stage 4 soft foods such as finely chopped chicken, tuna, soft veggies, stuff like that and congrats!!!