Doing this on my own, please have patience

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/15 11:48 am

Some of you have had someone there for you for you preop appmts thru to waiting to talk to you once you get back to your room. My situation is very different, I have to do this on my own. all preop appmts, classes, bloodwork, I;m being dropped off on thurs am at hospital check in and then picked up Friday whenever I am released. So if I ask questions here a few times, be patient, I'm trying to gather everything, research etc. so that I don't have to hear "I told you so", that's my unfortunate reality. I hope you all have better support. Thanks for listening.

rocky513
on 2/7/15 12:53 pm, edited 2/7/15 12:55 pm - WI

I'm sorry you are going through this alone.  Perhaps you should start writing the answers to the questions you ask in a notebook or copy and paste the answers in a document titled "WLS tips" that you can referrence when you forget things.  It's up to you to take notes and make sure you understand what's happening. 

You need to consider the time that is spent by a vet to answer your questions.  When you ask the same question over and over again and get the same answer over and over again it kind of looks like you are: 

1. Looking for someone to give you the answer you want to hear.

2. Not taking the vets advice seriously and disregarding it.

3. Not taking your WLS seriously.

These vets have taken valuable time out of their day to answer your questions.  It is disrespectful to waste their time.  If you choose to keep asking the same questions over and over again, you run the risk of losing the support of all those who have "walked the walk" and can give you the advice to help you succeed on your WLS journey.  They will simply stop responding to you.  That would be really unfortunate.  There is a wealth of information in all their experience and the vets are more than willing to share.  I suggest you respect that.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Modest_Phoenix
on 2/7/15 2:10 pm

Good advice.  I hadn't thought about starting a folder with Q&A from here.

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

marygall
on 2/8/15 12:33 am

Wow. Good idea on keeping notes but....

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/15 3:25 am

I'm doing the best I can. If you don't want to reply, DONT. I went to the pharmacy and was going to post that I have now purchases all the correct vitamins. Thank you all for your help. Continued success on each of your journeys. I am looking forward to moving forward.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/7/15 1:29 pm

I did all the journey by myself.   A friend took me to the hospital, and he stayed with me there (thought i wish he did not) ... But once i got home, it was just me. Same for any and all preop appointments. 

You will be fine. 

Not having anyone at home with me also means i did not have to worry about their food...before or after my WLS..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/15 3:26 am

thank you and I'm so happy to hear that you are well.

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/15 11:05 pm

Mary Gee
on 2/7/15 3:19 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
Many of us have had to do this on our own. The only "support" I got was my SO trying to talk me out of having the surgery. I had to do all the research h by myself, get myself to all my appointments, etc., etc., etc. I got all my support here - I was lucky enough to come across this site. My suggestions are: 1) go to the blue bar at the top of the page, click on "More" and read everything under Resources. 2). Use the Search feature--the magnifying glass on the right side of the blue bar-- to learn more about Stalls, Hair Loss, pureed stage, etc. 3) Read the surgery forums every day, as much as you can. 4). Post questions and accept the information provided. We all come here for information and support, and the "Vets" truly want to help others succeed and they are on your side. The suggestion to keep a notebook is an excellent idea. You are NOT ALONE!!!! Your surgery is coming up soon -- you will do fine. Pre-op and immediate post-op stages are tough - but you will get through it. P.s. posted this on my pad---which doesn't let me break my response into paragraphs; sorry it makes response difficult to read.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Nancy
on 2/7/15 6:39 pm - Kasson, MN

Just remember you are never alone.  There will be people there going through the same thing as you are.  Get to know them and you can be great supports for each other.  There may be someone that you come across that needs you on there journey as well.  See what they have for support groups in your area.  You are always welcome here and we have all been through this so a lot of know where you are coming from.  Just keep faith he will bring your through this!