VSG and REFLUX

luxurycouture
on 2/7/15 9:12 am

I do not currently have reflux, but I am scheduled for VSG on Feb 17th. Through my reading, I have discovered that VSG can make reflux worse for this who already had it, but is there anyone out there who didn't have reflex to begin with? I do not have reflux and I am hoping that it doesn't start because of the VSG. Can you share your experience with me? 

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

Valerie G.
on 2/7/15 11:01 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My DS has a sleeve stomach.  I didn't have reflux before and I don't have it post op either.  They did put me on Nexium for 6 months as a precautionary measure, but I never needed anything since.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Maureen H.
on 2/7/15 5:33 pm
VSG on 10/30/14

I didn't have reflux before but I have it post op. I was put on prescription Prilosec but it has progressively gotten better even now when I can't be on the medication because of upcoming labs that Prilosec can alter the results. I noticed it is actually the worst when I don't properly eat on my normal ever two-three hour schedule. What kind of questions do you have?

Nancy
on 2/7/15 6:58 pm - Kasson, MN

Best thing to know about reflux is to never lay down after you eat.  Wait about on hour so the food is able to stay down (gavity keeps it down) so you don't get that back up to irritate your esophagus lining!