The sleeve and reflux

luxurycouture
on 2/6/15 10:52 am

my surgeon mentioned that the sleeve can cause reflux, as opposed to RNY, which he said tends to relieve reflux. I am wondering what sleeve patients have to say regarding this matter. I am starting to wonder if I should have asked for RNy. Last minute jitters!

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

Poodlemac
on 2/6/15 12:28 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I was mentally prepared for sleeve but my surgeon recommended RNY because of severe reflux, said it would be better for me. My gastro had mentioned some people had worsened reflux after sleeve also. Took me a few days, but I accepted the change and am eternally grateful for my docs recommendation. 

Chilipepper
on 2/6/15 12:43 pm

It's completely true. If you are afraid, then speak to your surgeon. It's never to late to pick the surgery that is best for you

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

MsBatt
on 2/6/15 1:39 pm

Do you have reflux now? Reflux is often caused by having a haital hernia, which can be fixed at the same time as WLS.

Pre-op, I had TERRIBLE reflux. Most nights I slept sitting up, it was so bad. I chose the DS, so I have a Sleeved stomach---and ZERO reflux since surgery, over 11 years ago.

Eggface
on 2/6/15 1:59 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

I had severe GERD (acid pouring out of my nose in the night severe) prior to WLS I suffered with it for as long as I can remember one of my early childhood memories is of choking on stomach acids in the night. I had RNY in 6/20/2006 and that was the last day (fingers crossed) of my GERD symptoms. 

I have read if you suffer from GERD VSG might not be the best WLS choice http://media.jamanetwork.com/news-item/laparoscopic-sleeve-g astrectomy-did-not-relieve-resolve-gerd-symptoms/ study came out in Feb.

Best wishes with your research and WLS whatever you end up going with.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/6/15 8:39 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I had GERD but it was likely caused by the hiatial hernia they found when I was scoped, it was fixed during surgery & I haven't had gerd since. My gerd though was very, very mild.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Valerie G.
on 2/7/15 3:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My DS has a sleeve stomach, and they had me on Nexium for 6 mos as a precaution.  I never experienced any reflux, so I guess I'm a lucky one.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

luxurycouture
on 2/7/15 9:20 am

I don't have reflux now. I am just wondering if it will start after VSG...

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

happytoloose
on 2/7/15 12:10 pm

I never had heartburn or reflux or any of that before surgery. I had the proverbial CAST IRON stomach.

A buddy of mine used to get mad at me for not knowing what it was like. He had it when he ate the good stuff, like ribs or wings or other gameday finger food. Not me boy! A couple of slabs of ribs, a couple dozen hot wings and a 12 pack of brews to wa**** down.

Those days are gone! One too many bites now and I am a miserable unit.

Tums help, but mostly I just stop short of the full signal. Which I also did not experience before surgery.

This is likely responsible for my newly modified behavior. And the great weight loss out of the gate. No more bingeing!

No more beerfest.

Do I miss it?  Oh hell yea! But I don't miss the 100 plus lbs that are gone already.

Well worth the tradeoff in my opinion.

I'm getting better at avoiding the burn as time goes on. Still learning my new sleeve.

ROD