Not a fan of the pre-op meal replacement

luxurycouture
on 2/6/15 10:36 am

so I started the pre-op liquid diet today and I do not like the protein powder at all. I never have. I was able to get one down, but I really needed to have 4. Gosh, I hate them. I also am allowed to have limited broth, limited watermelon and one jello cup, as well as celery with no limit. I certainly ate all of the extras that the diet would allow. Now I'm cranky. 

Has anyone else struggled with distaste for all protein mixes? What can I do to make this suck less? I want a chipotle burrito bowl :)

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

kathkeb
on 2/6/15 11:08 am

Um, yeah, most everyone struggles with the pre op diet, but they do it.

You can add flavorings (I tolerated it best by adding a little coffee to the chocolate protein).

The first 3 or 4 days are the hardest as your body gets off of sugar, flour, etc.

You can do this.

Kath

Gwen M.
on 2/6/15 11:53 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Experiment with other protein powders. There are a zillion out there. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Chilipepper
on 2/6/15 12:42 pm

This is the life you are signing up for. The first few days are hard.  Not only are you retraing your eating habits but retraining your brain to know that now, your are not living to eat but eating to live. .

like Gwen said. Experiment with different protiens. Nectar proteins are good.  You can get them at the vitamin shop. I like the EAS carb control shakes. You can get them at the food store. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

losing_the_band
on 2/6/15 2:32 pm
Revision on 08/27/15

Personally, I have a strong dislike for artificial sweeteners and the taste of whey protein.  Try an alternative protein, like egg white, hemp, etc.  I like Jay Robb's egg white protein mixes fairly well (or at least, they're the least objectionable of the protein I've tried).  They're very mildly flavored, so they should be pretty easy to doctor to however you like them.  Plus, they're sweetened with stevia, which doesn't have nearly as much of an aftertaste as artificial sweeteners.

Lap-Band 2007

Lap-Band Replaced 2011

APPROVED for revision to RNY! Awaiting surgery date!

thallnc
on 2/6/15 8:39 pm - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

Have you tried the Nectar protein powder? I have the strawberry kiwi that I mix with 16 oz of water. It taste like liquid jello to me. Good luck with your pre op diet. I start mine tomorrow.

Andy G
on 2/6/15 10:06 pm - TX

I liked Nectar best....trick is to mix it right....no blender or shaker...it foams up. Room temp water and stir stir stir...then ad ice. Grapefruit tastes like a fresh sweetened grapefruit, cherry, green apple. ....not a big fan of the grape.....you can get a sample pack on amazon or at www.allstarhealth.com  they also make Nectar Medical Powder which is flavorless. ....an extra 10g of protien I add to broths...soups...puddings.etc....watch the clumps but it is no tsste.

Later you can try the Nectar Double stuff cookie.....like and oreo shake...I can do that one in the blender with ice and unsweetened vanilla flavoredalmond milk.  You can use water but not near as good. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/6/15 10:24 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Odd.  Most people love the pre-op diet.  They love drinking protein shakes.  

LOL.

I am joking.  Try Nectar.  I still drink them to this day.  I like the double stuffed cookie mixed with unsweetened almond milk.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

chevtow41
on 2/6/15 10:32 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Have you tried any pre made protein shakes? That's what I used and much better tasting than any powder I found

Mary Gee
on 2/6/15 10:35 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
You won't like your post-op diet either. But you need to tough it out if you want to succeed. It's the price that has to be paid....

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175