WLS Abroad

HA333
on 2/8/15 6:09 am

Hi all!  Im wondering if anyone has had WLS outside of the US for financial reasons?  I am seriously considering but need advice.

hipswishingvinegarball
on 2/8/15 8:08 am

I went to India, and am very happy with my DS, although if I were to do it again today, I'd go to Ungson in MX, or MAYBE to a US surgeon with a good enough cash pay price. There are some top notch surgeons everywhere in the world, but I think the US hospitals suck compared to other countries I've been in. 

Research your surgeon regardless of where you go - US or otherwise. When you go outside the US to a place that often caters to medical tourists, the accommodations can be quite luxurious which is nice, but don't neglect to check things like their infection rates. That's one of my biggest fears when it comes to staying in medical facilities now.

NYMom222
on 2/8/15 11:11 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I think there is a forum for people who had surgery in Mexico. You can also do a search (Little magnifying glass on upper right) and find posts about this.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

HA333
on 2/9/15 10:52 pm

Ok.  Wonderful!  thank you, NYMom222:)

Valerie G.
on 2/8/15 12:34 pm, edited 2/9/15 3:15 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You'll want to be highly selective when selecting a surgeon abroad.  There are some truly talented surgeons outside of the US, but their numbers are matched by some real butchers who will promise you the world for pennies on the dollar and you end up with something totally different.  Just this week, one patient is in an induced coma while another discovered she got an experimental procedure instead of the procedure she asked for.  Go for real-live recommendations from real people instead of a good web site and price.  I also heard there is special insurance you can purchase that may cover any complications - as a self pay inside or outside of the US, this is a good idea, since I'm sure you're not in a position to afford hundreds of thousands of dollars.

For Mexico, I'd recommend Dr. Gilberto Ungson over any other.

For Brazil, Dr. Jao Marchanesi

For Spain, Dr. Baltazar

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Ashley in Belgium
on 2/9/15 12:00 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I am an American living in Belgium.  I had both my original and revision surgery done here by the Professeur Guy-Bernard Cadiere who is a world famous bariatric surgeon and I can't recommend him and hie weight loss clinic enough.  Definitely worth looking elsewhere if you can't find what you need at home.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Cathy W.
on 2/9/15 12:00 am

Here are some helpful links for the surgeons that Valerie gave to you and the Mexico MB:

Mexico Message Board
Dr. Ungson
Dr. Jao Marchanesi 
Dr. Balthazar

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Y D.
on 2/9/15 3:02 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

I have insurance, but I decided to self-pay abroad. It would take up to 9 months to receive my surgery through my insurer.

I had my VSG on 01/19 with Dr. Lopez in Tijuana, MX at Vida hospital. It was the best medical experience I've ever had, and I do intend to return to Mexico for any plastics I may need after I reach goal.

ChristineB
on 2/10/15 8:02 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On February 8, 2015 at 2:09 PM Pacific Time, HA333 wrote:

Hi all!  Im wondering if anyone has had WLS outside of the US for financial reasons?  I am seriously considering but need advice.

I am not sure where in the country/world you are located but you need to take a big consideration into mind - will a local WLS doc take over your care after you have had surgery abroad. I live in the heartland of the US and my doc in suburban Chi-town will not take on a patient that has had surgery in another country.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

HA333
on 2/10/15 10:14 am

Thank you Christine, I haven't asked...