Surgery for Lazy people?

Zee Starrlite
on 2/9/15 2:43 am

NO, NO, NO!!!  You will have to work for your weight loss!  You will have to work like hell and especially to maintain.  345 is a lot of weight to get up to (no doubt you will have excess skin that is being realistic) and it will take a very proactive hardworking person to keep that type of obesity at bay.  Have you lost and kept weight off before?  At 45 it is about time to do something or frankly get sick.

It's a crime that "a few teaspoons of food in an entire day" and "hard time taking a sip of water" got etched in your mind.  This is so not true for most of us past 1 week post op.  I had no issues with drinking at all.  I can eat normal sized meals - so I must be careful.  I have no reflux.

Tell your fiancé of 10 years to be supportive or get lost.  Do this for you!  You are not at a healthy weight at all.  Doesn't Canada have a long wait list for WLS?  Even if you have doubts now you should start the process anyway.  You can always change your mind.

Best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

NadiaO
on 2/9/15 8:01 am

I know 345 pounds is alot of weight .. and unhealthy.. and yes, no doubt there will be excess skin.  

I continue to educate myself and am seeing that what I saw/read that night doesn't mean it's like that for everyone.  

It is a 5 year wait time but I have received my first call and have gone to my first meeting.  The process has begun.

Kathy S.
on 2/9/15 3:14 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I can't believe he said that!  It makes me

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

NadiaO
on 2/9/15 8:06 am

Yup, I was pretty mad.  We've discussed this at length since and I believe it's about a general misconception about WLS. If someone has never read up on it, they might not know the hard work that comes with WLS.  He acknowledged that his comment was wrong and has apologized...

Kathy S.
on 2/9/15 9:23 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Awww Nadia, I am so glad to hear this.  Once the honeymoon is over (first year usually) it really does come down to eating the right foods and moving, moving, moving. The surgery gives us a tool to get going in the right direction.  It's hard to lose 100, 200 or more when you are hungry all the time.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. We are here for you

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

MyLady Heidi
on 2/9/15 7:19 am

I am a lazy person, I don't like to do things the hard way and after 20 years of MO and being diagnosed as diabetic and having all sorts of weight related pain, embarrassment and frustration, I finally decided to take back my life.  That was nearly 10 years ago.  I took the easy, lazy, only way out.  And now I look like this at 50 years old.

I started at 283.5 and currently weigh 135.  And yes I diet to maintain this weight, but I feel no hunger ever, so it is easy.  Why does everything have to be about doing things the hard way.  I knew this was a gift, a second chance and I was for sure not going to **** this up, like so many others have.  That part is your choice, the surgery will get you to a certain weight where you go from there is all you.

photo 108dac4a-3e48-43ff-bf15-32d6fd671dcb_zpssnsxeivi.jpg

NadiaO
on 2/9/15 8:03 am

Congratulations on your achievement ! Thank you for your comment

MyLady Heidi
on 2/9/15 8:12 am

And everyone without weight issues doesn't understand, don't blame your boyfriend, I heard that comment from my son, my ex husband, and from other people.  If you don't live with a massive amount of weight to lose you really can't understand.  Just like I can't understand a habit that makes people huddle outside in the freezing cold just to stink up their breath, hair, clothes and cost a veritable fortune.  We all have our own demons and typically we don't truly appreciate each others.  Good Luck and Thanks!

Paul C.
on 2/10/15 2:14 am - Cumming, GA

I have never encountered the Lazy/easy way out.  But I surround myself with active people. Those that have seen me go through this process know that I have my ups and downs and that I am anything but lazy.

DO I have regrets?  Yeah not doing it sooner.  Knowing what I have gone through I would still do it in a heartbeat.  I suffered a number of complications and was on liquids for around the first 6 months.  Yeah I would still do it.

Took me probably a month to start feeling ok.

The key is to look at getting another shot at life, at least thats what I have done.  I have done things since my surgery that I never imagined I would or could do.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
gaylesnickers
on 2/10/15 3:23 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I'll be the first to admit that I was lazy before my RNY surgery on July 1st 2014. I was lazy because my knees hurt ( sometimes I couldn't even get off the toilet without help) because my feet hurt and just about everything else in my body hurt. I was only about 100 pounds overweight but having the surgery was the best thing that could have happened to me. Before the surgery anytime I tried to be active I would injure another part of my body. That's a great incentive to be __lazy__.

I am now down 90 lbs and am very active.  My feet don't hurt until I've been on them for 5 or 6 hours and although I still have issues with my knees they are immensely better. 

Sounds like your fiance needs a attitude adjustment or a boot down the road.

As for after the surgery, yes the first few days aren't very fun. No pain no gain,right? I will tell you it's a small price to pay and it doesn't last long . I was expecting to feel much worse for much longer. I was discharged from the hospital on July 3rd and went to a 4th of July party the next day. 

Don't let anyone discourage you. Make an informed decision and stick to it. 

Good luck.