Surgery for Lazy people?

NadiaO
on 2/8/15 5:59 am

Thank you for your comment. Hopefully my acid reflux has not impacted my chance for a VSG.  Time will tell...

MsBatt
on 2/8/15 10:54 pm

I suggest you first figure out WHY you have reflux. Many, many people, especially MO people, have reflux because they have a haital hernia. Fix the hernia, cure the reflux. 99 times out of 100, haital hernias are easily repaired at the same time as WLS.

Pre-op, I had TERRIBLE reflux. Most nights I slept sitting up, it was so bad. I chose the DS, so I have a Sleeved stomach---and NO reflux since the day of surgery, over 11 years ago. I suggest you have a discussion with your surgeon about Sleeve size as well---back when I was researching, you just didn't see people saying they developed reflux after getting a Sleeve or a DS. Then, as surgeons started making Sleeves smaller and smaller, talk of reflux became more and more common...

TexasTerritory
on 2/8/15 5:39 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I wasn't lazy pre-op and I'm certainly not lazy post-op. You're dealing a person's preconceived ideas. Have the surgery to become healthy and reconsider your relationship. Good luck.

NadiaO
on 2/8/15 6:03 am

Thank you for your comment.  

I agree, some people just don't know better and have these preconceived ideas about weigh loss surgeries.  People should really try to educate themselves before judging so quickly.

NYMom222
on 2/8/15 11:23 am
RNY on 07/23/14

The lazy comment is because of ignorance. I know my surgeon wanted family and significant others to come in for appointments and to go to some of the support groups with the patient so they would learn too.  Yes the first weeks and months can be tough, but you are changing yourself for a lifetime. It is a journey both with your body and your mind.... I am 6 months out and am still learning.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Valerie G.
on 2/8/15 12:40 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I had the DS, which has the sleeve stomach with added malabsorption to kick my metabolism into high gear.  I can tell you that eating is bizarre at first, but in time you can eat a fairly normal meal.  I'm 8 years out and while I'm a light eater by comparison to others, I do eat plenty enough to not call attention to myself.

I only encountered a couple of comments of wls being the easy way out.  I already knew I was a champion dieter, but I didn't see any results.  I knew better - and that's what matters.  Perhaps you need to think long and hard about your fiance before you make him your husband, since he's been seeing you as a failure all these years.  I know it sounds harsh, but he IS being harsh on you.  Don't let this slide.

I had my DS 9 years ago and thank my lucky stars every day for it.  I have no regrets at all.

I was a very cheap date for anesthesia, extremely listless for a few weeks.  While my incisions were healed in two weeks, it was a good 4-5 weeks before I started feeling like myself again and had my head back in the game.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Nich_R
on 2/8/15 2:08 pm

Hi Nadia,

I'm really sorry that's the reaction you received. In the end you have to do what's best for YOU and that may also include rethinking your relationship. He may have some anxieties about WLS and some insecurities about what may happen but that is still no excuse for what he said. Is he generally a supportive person for you? Is this an isolated incident? You don't have to answer these questions here but more to yourself. I'm not trying to give him an excuse for what he said but if this is out of character maybe with some education he'll see how ignorant of a statement he made to you. If you're not really surprised by his reaction then I would seriously consider how healthy of a relationship this is.

Good luck to you.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/8/15 8:26 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Yeah, well, next time he needs his clothes washed hand him a bar of soap and point him to the nearest river. Coz using the washing machine would qualify him as lazy and he wouldn't want that now would he? 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

NadiaO
on 2/9/15 7:55 am

haha well let's just say dinner wasn't ready when he got home... He acknowledged that his remark was an ignorant one and we've been talking alot since that evening ... 

White Dove
on 2/8/15 8:53 pm - Warren, OH

At least 99.9% of the world feel and believe the same way.  A person is not an asshole for not being educated about surgery anymore than you are an asshole if you can't clearly explain the theory of relativity.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends