Surgery for Lazy people?

NadiaO
on 2/8/15 4:45 am

Thank you for your comment.

My fiance has never had weigh issues but has gained a few pounds since us being together and several times he has said 'I need to lose a few pounds' or ' I must start eating healthy' ' I need to exercise', however he hasn't followed through either... so one would think he would understand how daunting of a task it would look to need to lose at least 100 pounds.

I'm scared but it's normal ... and I'm doing this for me because I'm tired of everything that comes with being this size.Right? Right!

Kate -True Brit
on 2/8/15 4:26 am - UK

get the surgery, ditch the fiancé! Or if he is worth keeping, take him to some seminars to educate him! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

NadiaO
on 2/8/15 4:41 am

Thank you for your comment.  

I do plan on trying to educate him while I continue to educate myself.  At the end of the day, I'm doing this for me and not for him so I only answer to me, I was just disappointed by his judgemental comment but hope he can become supportive in my journey.

Kate -True Brit
on 2/8/15 4:44 am - UK

Non-obese people just don't "get it".  Best wishes! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

lcraver
on 2/8/15 7:02 am - Knightdale, NC
RNY on 03/02/15

Some non-obese people do get it. My son and daughter in law are very healthy and normal weight and they are my biggest supporters. Stupid heads are the ones that just don't get it!   

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/8/15 8:26 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

recordsmom
on 2/9/15 12:32 am
RNY on 04/28/15

Amen!!

Raze
on 2/8/15 5:24 am, edited 2/8/15 5:25 am

1. all kinds of people have surgery, lazy people too. i was and am lazy about exercise, and ate far too much. does that mean i shouldn't have tried to lose weight by any means necessary? that said i lost lots of weight over the years through diet and exercise despite not liking to do either, and never kept it off. now its off and is staying off and i have been vigorously exercising as of late to lose more. after its gone i will most likely stop exercising because i don't like it much. at least not vigorously. i have no problem with that i am not required to workout and no one does it for me

2. no regrets at all

3. not long at all. i felt "okay" after i had healed

stop watching youtube imo. and don't look for others to validate you or your decision. this is too personal a choice and no one can have surgery for you, the same as no one can diet and exercise for you. if you are lazy about losing weight own it, and do something about it if you want to. surgery is a good option imo. works for lazy people and non lazy people alike to varying degrees. all this blither blather you here will remain. but the best defense against it, and all the negative comments, is to not allow yourself to be judged or feel judged and succeed one way or another

you're already a success, btw. if you want to lose weight, its your own to lose, not someone else's.  not all us WLS patients are the same, not by a long shot

IMO

NadiaO
on 2/8/15 5:56 am

Thank you for your comment and perspective. 

STB
on 2/8/15 5:25 am
RNY on 07/21/14

I am six months post op RNY and don't regret it all! The first month was hardest for me but then, I turned the corner and am feeling pretty good! I was told it was the "easy way out" and no, it is not. Like many, I lost weight over and over and couldn't keep it off. This is a lifestyle change and commitment and is not easy. I wanted a VSG but due to acid reflux was only offered the RNY. I am sorry your boyfriend is not more supportive. Do you think he feels threatened by your choice? Does a lot of your activities involve food? Is he overweight? In terms of body image, there were things I didn't like when I was so overweight and there will be things I don't like when I reach my goal weight but clothes hide a lot and at least now, I am not limited to those things that come in a 4X. I am now a L or XL. I am going to be 60 next weekend and I have more energy and feel better than I have in a long time. good luck! 

SHARON