Surgery for Lazy people?

NadiaO
on 2/8/15 1:02 am, edited 2/9/15 8:39 am

Hi,

I am 45 years old, weigh 345 pounds and just went for my first appointment/consultation for VSG weight loss surgery.  I have been overweight my entire life it seems and have tried just about every diet I can think of without any real success.  Recently I have developed a back problem which has made my weight even more unbearable.  I do not have diabetes or blood pressure issues yet but have cholesterol and certainly self esteem issues.  

Last night, I went on you tube and watched some videos about people's journey with VSG and maybe I should not have because it kinda scared me.  The thought of having a hard time taking a sip of water or only be able to have a few teaspoons of food in an entire day and maybe having lots of acid reflux ... the excess skin... It all freaked me out at THAT moment.   I went to my fiance to tell him how I felt, looking for some reassurance, but instead was basically told that there is always diet and exercise -  that I have zero willpower and that WLS is for lazy people.  I was really disappointed by his comment.

1 - have you encountered any of this 'lazy people' stigma in your immediate surroundings?

2 - do you have any regrets about having WLS?

3 - how long did it take before you felt somewhat okay after your surgery?

I realize that VSG is a tool to help me restrict my calorie intake and that I will still have to watch what I eat and exercise to be successful and not gain the weight back - and that my relationship with food will need to change...

Thank you for your comments

Nadia

kocindy
on 2/8/15 1:21 am

Lazy? That's a good one.

NadiaO
on 2/8/15 4:50 am
jyamiolk
on 2/8/15 1:55 am
VSG on 10/15/14

I had my surgery October 15th. Initially when I told my parents they were not supportive. One statement my mom made was thatt I am chosing a medically induced anorexia. That amused me a bit. I then provided them resources regarding my procedure and over time they became supportive. One thing that eased my moms concern was that I am chosing  a procedure not as involved as the DS or gastric bypass. 

I chose to tell people in my office and everyone was supportive and actually asking questions to understand what I went through and my new lifestyle. 

I have absoloutely no regrets from having the surgery

As far as feeling somewhat ok post surgery, I have to say that the first three days after surgery was the worst. I experienced pain around the incision where my stomach was removed.. I also had some post op gas pain. To reduce the level of pain it is highly recommended to get up and walk right out of surgery. I tried but kept on passing out. I definitely paid for it with shoulder pain. I left the after two days and by the weekend I was shooting pool. Recovery is different for some people. I took two weeks off from work but could have returned after a week. 

VSG with DR. Sharp on 10-15-2014

Age 43 Height 5' 10" HW 306 SW 280 CW 185

GW 195

NadiaO
on 2/8/15 4:38 am

Thank you for your comment...

From what I've read, it does seem the first few days are the worse and I have also read walking is the best way to deal with the gas pain.  

I hope I will be able to educate him, thankfully the rest of the people who know about it are supportive or at least appear to be supportive.  Nadia

jyamiolk
on 2/8/15 4:54 am
VSG on 10/15/14

I am sure you will hear this but remember to sip and walk. Those will be your primary tasks post surgery. Here is something funny, when I got home from the hospital, I could not get comfortable. Tried the couch, different positions in my bed and then I decided to try my recliner. OMG the pain decreased and I was able to get some sleep. The only problem was that my core muscles were shot from the larger incision on my lower right side. I could not get out of the chair. Did not have enough strength to close it. I had to have my dad close it for me so that I can get out. 

VSG with DR. Sharp on 10-15-2014

Age 43 Height 5' 10" HW 306 SW 280 CW 185

GW 195

NadiaO
on 2/8/15 5:06 am

Sip and walk, sip and walk, sip and walk.. thanks I will note that!  (may look into buying recliner but make sure I'm not by myself!)

Gwen M.
on 2/8/15 2:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'd be having second thoughts about my partner, not my choice to take my health into control.  I'd LOVE for someone to tell me, to my face, that I'm lazy post-WLS.  Pre-WLS?  I spent a lot of time sitting on the couch and not doing much.  Now?  Now I exercise over 10 hours a week and I have a very full and busy life.  For me, pursuing WLS was an act of will power, not the reverse.  

1 - I have not, because I've surrounded myself with awesome people.  

2 - I have no regrets.  I have some mental stuff that I'm working through, but that's not a fault of the WLS, that's because my body changed drastically and my mind is having a hard time catching up.  It's hard work.  (Yet another way in which I'm not lazy.)  

3 - I was off pain killer in the first 3-4 days.  I went out to see a movie about 9 days post-op.  I was pretty much good to go a week out.  Everyone does recover differently, of course.  

I see a therapist every week and that helps me a LOT.  I have a great team of people who are all cheering for me and helping me.  And, for me, that's really important.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NadiaO
on 2/8/15 4:54 am

Thank you for your comment.

I admire your fierceness - wish you would have been here when he made that comment...

I can imagine how it could be hard for the brain to adjust to such a change.  I have no doubt I will be seeking professional help in dealing with the emotions that come with WLS...

hollykim
on 2/8/15 6:37 am, edited 2/8/15 10:25 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 8, 2015 at 12:54 PM Pacific Time, NadiaO wrote:

Thank you for your comment.

I admire your fierceness - wish you would have been here when he made that comment...

I can imagine how it could be hard for the brain to adjust to such a change.  I have no doubt I will be seeking professional help in dealing with the emotions that come with WLS...

so,let me get this straight. He thinks Wls is for lazy people? 

So,I'm sure that means,he walks or bikes to work and everywhere else he goes,right! Doesn't drive a car or truck? Check. Driving a vehicle would surely be the lazy way out.

If he washes clothes or the dishes,I KNOW he does it by hand right. In a sink of soapy water and a scrub board for the clothes.SURE he wouldn't take the easy way out. No no, not him. 

I think you will give him the boot when you have your surgery and become as healthy as you can be. Why would you even.Think  of keeping someone so " supportive". Not.