How do i get started? I live in Ontario Canada

kesfluff
on 2/7/15 7:43 am - Canada

HI

I have been reading a lot of great and supportive posts. I think that WLS may be the best course of action for me. So, how do I get a ticket to this ride and what can I expect along the way??

Looking forward to hearing from you all

Thanks

Kathy S.
on 2/7/15 7:50 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Welcome kesfluff!

Congratulations on taking control of your life and your weight loss journey.   ​

We suggest you research all your options for WLS and OH is the right place for that.  Once you have reviewed your options surgery wise and decided on one then your next step is to find a surgeon.  We can help you with that.     ​​ Here are some links that will be helpful in your research.​​

​If you have not done so, contact your insurance company and verify if they cover WLS and if so what procedures.​  If you have Medicaid and or Medicare, contact them to verify if they cover WLS, if so, what procedures and if there are any pre-surgery qualifications you have to meet.  Ask for a list of surgeons in your area that take your insurance then we can assist you with contacting those surgeons on your behalf to get you started on your journey!  

Since you live in Ontario be sure and check out the Ontario Forum  

Let us know if you need anything else.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

kesfluff
on 2/8/15 3:55 am - Canada

hi! Thank you so much for the info. It will be very helpful

Thanks.

coop1977
on 2/7/15 9:30 am - Canada

I too live in Ontario .... When I first started my journey I got my doctor to send a referral to the bariatric center .... I got a call and they set up an orientation.  I did go to this ... Very informative!  I then changed my game plan and went to Mexico ... I found the surgeon I wanted and set it up!

OHIP covers WLS if you have a BMI of 40 or more or if your BMI is 35 with 2 comobilities.  The average time of the process is 12-18 months from referral to surgery.

so your first step is with your family doctor!

Good luck on your journey!

Janet

Dr. Ramos Kelly .... Jan.13, 2015

kesfluff
on 2/8/15 3:56 am - Canada

Thanks for your response. I will make an appt. ASAP.

God_Rocks
on 2/9/15 8:19 am

I too live in Ontario Canada.  Last June I went to my Dr and got a referral to the Bariatric Hospital.  It took a while, but last October I went to an orientation session.  They then schedule you to go see your surgeon, social worker, dietician and nurse.  Surgery should be early summer.

I will be having RNY which is fully covered by OHIP.  I asked my Surgeon about the sleeve and he said RNY is the best one to have for many reasons, one being that it's not as long lasting, and some have gone to have RNY after having Sleeve, so this would be something you may want to ask for yourself. 

Best wishes