Protein bars- again

teach2
on 2/7/15 5:07 am
RNY on 12/23/14

i posted about a good protein bar on the RNY board and got great responses, but one poster got me nervous. She said that many veterans said they are not a good habit to get into. As a newbie- 7 weeks out from RNY and gallbladder removal- I need your advice, please. Should I not eat protein bars? 

MickeyDee
on 2/7/15 5:12 am

It's not a good thing to eat them all the time, but there is a place for protein bars.  I kept one in the car glove box for emergencies, but no more than one.  It's all too easy to grab one, eat it, and then 30 minutes later, grab another, repeat.  Ask me how I know this....

Gwen M.
on 2/7/15 6:22 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think they're fine for emergency use.  But I'd rather carry a packet of tuna in my bag in case of emergency - I prefer "real" food without all the additives.  (And I can always swing by Wawa for cheese sticks!)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

DelilahJO
on 2/7/15 7:57 am

IMO and that of my nutritionist there's nothing wrong with eating protein bars? Protein bars and shakes are encouraged to meet daily protein goals. Simply do your research and choose. I prefer ( suggested by my nutritionist) quest protein products. They are delicious. The bars have lots of fiber as well to help keep the bowels moving. My breakfast every morning is a protein bar :-) goodluck! 

Poodlemac
on 2/7/15 1:01 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I agree. My doc recommends protein bars over shakes as I guess maybe more satiety. I do one or the other and rather enjoy them. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/7/15 8:18 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Protein bars are good in a pinch, like a last resort kinda thing, but they're usually not filling & they usually have way too many calories. I think of them as overblown candy bars. Once you get further out you won't have to depend on them too much cuz your protein will come from dense foods & the bars will be seen as the candy bars they really are.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

The Salty Hag
on 2/7/15 8:50 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Protein bars are okay every once in a while, but not a great choice for every day. Most of them aren't great calorie wise, and some have a lot of added sugar, or sugar alcohols. You have to sort through quite a few brands and settle on the least of the "evils".

I really try to take some cheese sticks and pepperonis with me in a little lunchbox. I was on a road trip and forgot my cheese sticks, so I stopped at a gas station to see what they might have. Lo and Behold...they had cheese sticks!

I have had to resort to eating a bar, but 1/2 one usually does the trick for me.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

kathkeb
on 2/7/15 9:05 am

Like others have said, good in a pinch or as a meal replacement, but not daily.

For 'on the go' food, I carry one in my knitting bag.  I also carry at least 1 plastic fork and spoon.

In a pinch, I can stop at a grocery or convenience store and get a Greek yogurt, or cheese stick, or jerky.

I can get veggies at the grocery salad bar, even.  Most of those are better options than many of the protein bars out there.

Kath

Nancy
on 2/7/15 10:08 pm - Kasson, MN

I think it just depends on what you can tolerate after your surgery.  There are a lot of protein foods I can not eat because I feel to full even after 11 years out.  boiled eggs and cheeses are what I eat a lot of.