How do I make my lap band work again ??

plkawalec
on 2/5/15 2:48 pm

I had lap band surgery in 2008. I did great until I was diagnosed with breast cancer in July 2009. I had the normal eating issues during chemo that you hear about. I was put on steroids for allergy issues.  Any way  I gained weight in the months following chemo.  I am still not back to my pre surgery weight but I getting close. I do feel some restriction when I eat, so I think the band is still in place and working. I have called my dr and left messages, to no avail.  So, my questions is: what do I do to make this thing work for me again. I don't have any of my literature from surgery Ie: pre surgery diet, after surgery diet etc.  Please help me .....

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 2/5/15 9:28 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

I do not have a lap band and you may want to post this in the lap band board for better answers. I just wanted to say you may need to see another surgeon if this one will not get back to you. They are the ones who can help you the most. Have you thought about a revision?

poet_kelly
on 2/5/15 10:40 pm - OH

Maybe you need a fill.  I"d make an appt with a bariatric surgeon.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Nic M
on 2/5/15 10:45 pm, edited 2/5/15 10:45 pm

I'm sorry to hear about the breast cancer. I hope you're on your way to being well after chemo?

I also gained a considerable amount of weight while on steroids (after hysterectomy.) I had already had my band removed at that point, however. 

Your first step will be to find a doctor who will check you over to make sure your band is okay. Then, if all is good, you'll most likely want to get the band filled to a point where you can comfortably eat (no sliming, choking, etc.) It may take a few tries... sometimes inflammation will occur and the band will become too tight. You want to avoid that happening.

Also consider finding a support group in your area that you can rely on. It helps to learn from others what works and what doesn't. 

There is a lot of information online that you can access, as well. It's okay that you don't have the literature from surgery. It's all accessible on the internet. Just Google pre surgery diet- Lap Band and you should have all the info you need.

Best of luck to you. I hope things go well! 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Zee Starrlite
on 2/6/15 12:09 am

First things first - see a bariatric surgeon!!!  

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Cathy W.
on 2/6/15 12:30 am

If you have other bariatric surgeons in your area, switch doctors.  You need to talk to a bariatric surgeon to make sure everything is working as it should.  

Check out the Lap Band message board too.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Kate -True Brit
on 2/6/15 1:45 am - UK

First thing is to get the fill level right. And for that you need to find a surgeon/hospital.  Then you can go back to band basics - protein first, then veggies, then carbs if room. 

Giad your breast cancer issues have been dealt with. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 2/6/15 3:18 am
VSG on 12/06/12

I was waiting for you since I figured you would have some good information.

56sunShine14
on 2/7/15 1:19 am

Your band is still working, trust me.  I would leave that doctor in the dust and find another bariatric surgeon who WILL help you.

Even after my band was removed last July, there are times when it still seems like I have it because, if I eat too much, I feel it tightening up around my stomach.  Most probably because my stomach has somewhat retained that banded effect.  But, if I eat too fast, I still get the bad hiccups.  It took me 2 months before I could get my vitamins (horse pill size) down my esophagus so I had to cut them into tiny pieces (yes, after the bad removal).  I now only have to cut them in half.

Get the new doc and see what you can do.  Probably a small fill at first and back to the basics.  Good luck and god has blessed you.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen