INSURANCE COMPANIES ~

ndpmom1999
on 2/5/15 12:37 pm - Columbus, GA

Our insurance United Healthcare will NOT cover any type of weight loss surgery....would someone help me and let me know who you use? I have been searching online with no luck.Thanks and God bless you ~

Tanya H.
on 2/5/15 10:34 pm
VSG on 01/20/15

Blue Cross Blue Shield. Are you an individual pay or do you have group coverage?

Tracy D.
on 2/5/15 11:45 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Aetna - although there is a financial limit and you MUST have at least two documented co-morbidities (and high blood pressure controlled by meds can't be onen of them).  

BCBS of Iowa and Nebraska - 6 months supervised weight-loss with a doctor, BMI and co-morbidity requirements too. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Modest_Phoenix
on 2/6/15 7:24 am, edited 2/6/15 7:25 am

I have United Healthcare and it's covered. As a matter of fact I switched to them during open enrollment so I could get coverage.  Each insurance company has different plans and tiers within each plan.  See if you can stay with United Healthcare and just switch which plan you're on to one that covers WLS.  I've read that United Healthcare was the pioneer being the first insurance company to approve WLS but I don't know if that is true.  Is your United Healthcare part of the state's medicaid?  If so, it is up to the state as to whether or not medicaid will cover WLS no matter what insurance company you pick as your provider.  If the state says it won't cover it, then the insurance providers for medicaid have to abide by those rules.  Hope that helps.

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

hollykim
on 2/6/15 7:33 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 5, 2015 at 8:37 PM Pacific Time, ndpmom1999 wrote:

Our insurance United Healthcare will NOT cover any type of weight loss surgery....would someone help me and let me know who you use? I have been searching online with no luck.Thanks and God bless you ~

most all of the major companies cover it ,IF ,your employer bought the coverage rider,TO cover it. If your insurance co says it isn't covered,that is a decision your employer made to not buy it and offer it to the employees.

i personally have never seen an independent policy cover it.

Valerie G.
on 2/6/15 10:27 am, edited 2/6/15 10:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

UHC does cover WLS, if your employer pays for it on the policy.  They bought a policy that excludes it, so there's nothing you can work around, I'm afraid.  Private policies are rare to cover it, and if they do, it's going to be pricey.  Instead, consider going out of the US and purchase insurance against complications, just in case.  There are several highly regarded surgeons in Mexico, Brazil, Spain...but it's important to go by great recommendations instead of price, for there are also a lot of butchers.  There are plenty that can make some recommendations.   That will likely cost you far less than a private insurance policy.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes