How much time?

Valerie G.
on 2/5/15 11:24 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I had an open DS and took 8 weeks off of work from my corporate training job.  I did plan it around the winter holiday season (when it's near impossible to do any training campaigns because of vacations), so there was no impact from my absence. 

I was a very cheap date to the anesthesia, for I was extremely listless for a good 4-5 weeks.  It wasn't until week 6 that I started feeling like myself, feeling confidently mobile and finally thinking clearly. I used the final weeks just to establish a routine that would be good at work.

You really need to consider the type of work that you do.  Incisions are usually healed in two weeks, but it can take time to work through other factors.  I know of one *****turned after 2 weeks and was making some very critical errors, and his performance decline was noticed by his superiors and their clients.  This had a very negative impact.  If your job does not require critical thinking, perhaps the brain fog is okay.  For others, not so much. 

Set an expectation at work, but give yourself a safety net to perhaps return part-time for a few weeks.  Just talk it through with leadership and come up with a good game plan.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Tracy D.
on 2/5/15 11:47 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I had VSG on a Friday, went home Sunday and was back to work at a desk job that following Monday (10 days off total).  I got kind of tired the first two days back but was completely back to normal by that Wednesday.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Tracy D.
on 2/5/15 11:48 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I had VSG on a Friday, went home Sunday and was back to work at a desk job that following Monday (10 days off total).  I got kind of tired the first two days back but was completely back to normal by that Wednesday.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

hollykim
on 2/6/15 7:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 5, 2015 at 6:34 PM Pacific Time, helionoftroy wrote:

Poet Kelly brought up an interesting point. She said that most people do not need two weeks of recovery after weight loss surgery. How much time did everyone take for recovery before going back to work?

I think you,being a massage therapist,would need 2 weeks minimum.

helionoftroy
on 2/6/15 7:57 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

Thanks everyone for your input!!

Nancy
on 2/7/15 7:12 pm - Kasson, MN

It will depend.  Everyone heals different........... I ended up with a leak so was in the hospital for a long stay.  Also depends on if it is lap or open surgery.  I think that open surgery is more safer for they can see what is going on better.  They did not see the tiny leak I had on the back side when I had lap.