How much time?

helionoftroy
on 2/5/15 10:34 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

Poet Kelly brought up an interesting point. She said that most people do not need two weeks of recovery after weight loss surgery. How much time did everyone take for recovery before going back to work?

kathkeb
on 2/5/15 11:30 am

Depends on the type of surgery and the type of work.

I had an out-patient Realize Band and do Project Management from a home office, I had my surgery on a Friday, home that same day and took 1 full week off from work and so, back on day 10.  I took  nap every day for the first week back, during my lunch time.

From your other posts, I believe you are a massage therapist and your work requires you to be standing and moving quite a bit.

You may be able to work 1/2 days after 2 weeks, but that might be pushing it.

Kath

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/5/15 11:58 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I went back to work, teaching on my feet, on a large campus 13 days after a lap RNY.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

rocky513
on 2/5/15 11:59 am - WI

It's not a "one size fits all" situation.  Every surgery is different.  I had an open RNY surgery ( revision from a 24 year old, no good, terrible,  VBG) with complications.  I was seven days in the hospital and off work for 8 weeks.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Zee Starrlite
on 2/5/15 12:00 pm

5 days.  Office job.  VSG.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/5/15 12:22 pm

I took 3 or  4 weeks.  And after i returned to work - i still needed lunch nap times. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Eggface
on 2/5/15 1:51 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

It really depends... people heal differently. Your body tries to conserve (hibernation mode) its fat stores when it realizes it's not going to get the same fuel so you feel wiped a bit. I had open... I was walking around Walmart bored at 2 weeks. I have a sit down for the most part job I could have done it... I didn't have to go back that soon but probably would have been fine... careful not to neglec****er... one of the biggest reasons for readmittance to the hospital is dehydration so just don't slack on that.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Poodlemac
on 2/5/15 8:38 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I went back to a full time, standing, walking job at 2 weeks. I wanted to transition to soft foods at home to know what to expect. 2 weeks was perfect for me, as I was bored and physically ready probably at day 10. 

Sasny
on 2/5/15 9:52 pm
VSG on 03/20/12

I had my VSG surgery on a Tuesday and was back at work Monday at a desk job but also had no problem taking care of and running after a 2 and 3 yr old.  And 10 days post surgery went on a four day family vacation to Washington, D.C. with a lot of walking.  

EvergreenK
on 2/5/15 11:07 pm
VSG on 09/16/14 with

I had my surgery on a Tuesday and was back at work the next Tuesday, but I have an office job.  I was pretty sore, but took some Tylenol and was fine.  Everyone is different though.  I would have liked to have taken a bit more time, but felt like I had to go back (kept my surgery secret.)  If you need to take less time, you can push through and be fine.