Constipation Question

thallnc
on 2/4/15 9:26 pm - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

Has anyone ever tried "Smooth Move" tea to help relieve constipation?

http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/products/smooth-move/

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

Ihearttennis
on 2/4/15 10:22 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I have used it  and it does work.  It doesn't taste too bad either, so that's good.

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

hollykim
on 2/4/15 11:05 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 5, 2015 at 5:26 AM Pacific Time, thallnc wrote:

Has anyone ever tried "Smooth Move" tea to help relieve constipation?

http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/products/smooth-move/

I think it contains senna,which is a laxative that can be habit forming. Have you tried stool softeners?

thallnc
on 2/5/15 12:26 am - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

I plan to talk with my surgeon before my actual surgery to get his take on this. Just trying to getting everything that I may need ready before the big day.

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

JB1114
on 2/4/15 11:41 pm - Grain Valley, MO

I'll have to look for that tea.  I had serious problems for a long time after surgery until I found Fiber Gummies.  I take 6 a day plus I add 3 teaspoons of fiber powder (similar to Metamucil) to my shake daily.  The powder is tasteless. 

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Pokemom
on 2/5/15 1:07 am
RNY on 12/29/14

I used to use Smooth Move quite a bit, during a time several years ago when I was on a high protein/low carb diet for more than a year.   Yes, it does work.  But I do not prefer it, because it can be very aggressive in its results...and not always much warning or control.  I would feel the need to head to the bathroom, and if I was not there immediately, it would be a real problem.  I was also always concerned about reading thwt it could create a dependence on it for regular bowel movements. I do keep Smooth Move in the house, but I use it rarely.

Much better, in my opinion, is a product called "Lower Bowel Formula" by the Dr. Christopher brand.  It does not have Senna in it.  It is not habit forming.  It is very effective, but not with the sometimes unmanageable results of the Smooth Move tea.  The instructions say to take two caps 3x/day.  Instead, I use it as needed, and then I take 6 at night.  In the morning, ta-da!  I was given that dosing advice by a wholistic practitioner in my town, and it has been spot on.  I have had some times, when I take it in smaller doses, as a maintenance thing, and it works well for that too.

i also have a young son (age 10) wiith Irritable Vowel Syndrome.  We use this Dr Christopher formula for him, too.  It is very effective, and even for him as a child, it is gentle when used at night in smaller amounts. For him, we do use it every night, as a maintenance thing, in a small dose. If he takes it throughout the day, the cayenne in it aggravates his opening (sorry if TMI), but it is not aggravating to him at night.  Sometimes for him, we will also do a larger dose at night if needed.

You can order it through Amazon, and it also comes in a liquid formula, which i have sometimes since surgery.

Pokemom
on 2/5/15 1:12 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Oops.  OK, my son has Irritable BOWEL syndrome. But the idea of irritable VOWEL syndrome made me laugh, so instead of editing my typo, I just left it in there. :-)

Karen M.
on 2/5/15 1:23 am - Mississauga, Canada

So funny - I saw a comedian on TV last night listing the vowels in a grumpy way and he said he suffers from "irritable vowel syndrome"! How timely. ;)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/5/15 3:55 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I recall a discussion on this product last year.  Here's the link.

It's a laxative and should only be used on occasion.  I've resigned myself to adding some Miralax to my morning protein shake to keep the constipation monster at bay.  No long term side effects for Miralax.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

thallnc
on 2/5/15 4:30 am - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

Very good to know...Thank you!