Eating issues

SoccerMomLP1
on 2/5/15 5:46 am

I have the Lap Band.  Had my surgery about 4 years ago.  Lost over 100 lbs, then my appendix ruptured and they removed my fluid from the band.

I was having financial issues, and was unable to have the fluid replaced and ended up putting all of my weight back on.

Last week, I went back and had the fluid put back in my band, and I can't remember the band giving me as many issues before as it is now.

I can't keep anything down.  Fluids, everything wants to come back up.

I need suggestions as to what I need to do here...  they told me when I had it refilled it would be really swollen as if I'd just had the surgery all over again, but yikes.  I think I may be too tight.

HELP 

Cathy W.
on 2/5/15 7:03 am

It sounds as though it has been filled too tightly.  If fluids are even coming back, that can't go on very long as you'll become dehydrated.  

Call your surgeon that refilled you and let them know.  Make sure to mention that you're having issues with fluids.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

kathkeb
on 2/5/15 11:23 am

Well, clearly you are too tight and should go tomorrow to have some fluid removed.

I have been banded almost 6 years .... And have seen countless people who had all of their fluid removed, and we're not able to tolerate fills again in the same way.

Once that fluid comes out ... Especially if time passes, you just can't fill it back up 

You may have to go very slowly, a little fill at a time, over several months ..... Of course that can be expensive in both money and time .... That's what we signed up for when we got bands, though.

I would ask them to remove at least half of the fluid .... Make sure you stay in the office and try to eat a yogurt or something soft ... And keep it down before you leave, or make them take more fluid out.

Then, liquids for a few days, soft foods and then back to normal eating.  If things go well, go back in about 4 weeks for another small fill .... Just like when you were a new bandster, because in some ways you SREa new bandster.

Kath

SoccerMomLP1
on 2/5/15 9:08 pm

I will call them today! Thank you for your input!