Newbie & worried

mute
on 1/4/15 6:34 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Hi, I'm Melinda and I'm new here. Not new to considering WLS though. I'm going to an information session at the surgeon's office tomorrow and it seems like it's just an info session with multiple people there. But I'm not sure my main question is going to get answered because it's about money.

I check my insurance and it doesn't cover WLS at all. But for my health I think this is something I really need to do. I'm just hoping that the surgeons I'm looking at will accept a payment plan.

I'm not as concerned about the actual surgery because I've had quite a few surgeries and haven't had any complications from those. I've been doing research online and understand the lifestyle changes needed afterwards.

Any words of wisdom?

hollykim
on 1/4/15 9:36 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 4, 2015 at 2:34 PM Pacific Time, mute wrote:

Hi, I'm Melinda and I'm new here. Not new to considering WLS though. I'm going to an information session at the surgeon's office tomorrow and it seems like it's just an info session with multiple people there. But I'm not sure my main question is going to get answered because it's about money.

I check my insurance and it doesn't cover WLS at all. But for my health I think this is something I really need to do. I'm just hoping that the surgeons I'm looking at will accept a payment plan.

I'm not as concerned about the actual surgery because I've had quite a few surgeries and haven't had any complications from those. I've been doing research online and understand the lifestyle changes needed afterwards.

Any words of wisdom?

so sorry to say,it has been my experience that bariatric surgeons don't accept payment plans. They usually want cash upfront. The hospital might accept a payment plan,but they usually want cash. Up front as well. 

Once the surgeons staff finds out you don't have insurance,they will say you will have to be self pay. If you can't self pay,they will usually just say sorry. 

Hate to be the bearer of bad news,been there done that myself.

NYMom222
on 1/4/15 10:10 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I am surprised they didn't check your insurance before you even came. There is something called care credit I have used for other medical things and you sometime to pay it off before you get hit with interest.... but not much considering how much this surgery costs. Many people do go to Mexico for surgery, you can find info on here but you would still need to secure a loan/credit for the money. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

mute
on 1/4/15 2:09 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

This not what I wanted to hear at all :( 

going to to post another topic about ways to pay for it.