Approved 2 Months Ago- Still No Word From My Surgeon

hollykim
on 1/4/15 9:42 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 4, 2015 at 12:16 AM Pacific Time, luxurycouture wrote:

I guess frustrated would be a good word for the way I feel during this "process" that seems to be avoiding "progress."

I have been at this for a year now. Making appointments, peddling, going testing etc. I swear my surgeon's secretary, whom I haven't met, hates me. ha ha. I have called to touch base and I always feel as though I am rushed off the phone, as I if I am a bother. I own a business where I deal with people calling all day and so I am considerate of the secretary's time and patience because I am sure that I am not the only one calling. I completed my psych evaluation and nutritional counseling back in September and was given clearance to submit to insurance, but it wasn't until November that the secretary submitted. I gave it a few weeks and checked in with my insurance company to check the status and they kept telling me that nothing had been submitted. Finally, after about a month of wondering and getting blown off by the surgeons secretary, my primary care doctor called on my behalf. The secretary said that she had already submitted it and magically that day it was received by my insurance company. They approved within 2 days! Exciting, right? I only was able to find out about the approval by calling the insurance company myself. I received nothing, still to this day, since November, from my surgeon's office. 

I am so frustrated and discouraged. Not to mention, I am a little bit nervous to move forward with this office because I literally have never once been contacted by them in any way. I always have to call and I feel as though I am being a bother, but if I don't call every couple of months, my paperwork isn't process and my chart is neglected. This is my health and a pretty important surgery and the staff should be considerate of this. Again, I realize they probably deal with annoying people who pester them about approvals etc, but honestly, I know better than to behave in a way  that would pressure a professional and I am so so considerate and grateful when I speak to the staff. I know the workload must be of high volume, but there is a complete lack of communication on the office's behalf.

Since learning that I was approved in November, I decided to assume the appointed role and I have stayed quiet on the back burner. Still no word and it is January! Now I am feeling curious, since it has been 2 months since approval, but I am uncomfortable calling for obvious reasons. There is another local surgeon's office hosting a seminar January 14th. I will go to this just to start the ball rolling in the event that I feel the need to switch offices.

Am I being ridiculous?

I would also switch docs. If this is the way they are pre op,this is the way they will be post op. You don't want to be getting the run around from the staff if you have issues that need resolving,post op.

NYMom222
on 1/4/15 10:19 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I would agree with those who say consider switching. You are going to have a long term relationship with this office. Yes, i would also say skip the seminar, unless you just want to see the surgeon and get a feel for who he is. My surgeon- I wasn't sure about in the beginning, yet he had a stellar reputation... we have warmed up to each other now and it is much better. But the office was always top rate.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

luxurycouture
on 1/6/15 10:46 am

So here's the update: 

i decided today that I was just going to make the 45 drive to the surgeon's office and try to sort things out in person. On my way to Providence, I received a voice message from the hospital confirming my appointment for my EKG for tomorrow at 8:30am. WHAT?! I never made this appointment!

At that point, I just decided to immediately called the surgeon's office before I was too deep in rush hour traffic. I called and was unable to speak with my surgeon's secretary, so I explained the situation and voicemail. I didn't go into detail about my dissatisfaction with the office. I only expressed that I was confused, as I had never made this appointment. She said that now only do I have that appointment scheduled, but  also have an endoscopy scheduled and a follow up appointment with the surgeon for January 22. UM, WHAT? I don't know whether to be happy or annoyed because I am pleased with the progression, but annoyed by the lack of communication. I changed my follow up appointment with the surgeon because I have had a vacation planned for months. 

The receptionist told me that a letter was sent to my address on December 22nd with a list of these appointment dates. I did move in May, but I have updated my address and also set up mail forwarding as a backup. But still, It's 2014- since when do we do all communication my snail mail? Lol. I am a business owner and it isnt alway easy for me to just change my plans at the drop of a hat. I did change my plans for tomorrow to accommodate the appointments. I will still go to the seminar for the other office on January 14, just in case  I still do not fully trust my surgeon's office. I Do intend on mentioning something to my surgeon's office after I complete my testing to avoid future occurrences.

rant over. At least  there was some good news today.  I do not believe that the office staff's incompetence is a reflection of the surgeon's skill and knowledge, however, I will be increasingly contientious. 

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

Grim_Traveller
on 1/6/15 2:32 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm glad something is happening. Keep us posted.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.