Having stricture problems, may need revision, need prayers

KC_77
on 1/3/15 10:51 am

I had my RNY surgery in 2009 and have kept off 150 extra pounds for 5 years now. my current BMI is 21. All sounds great but I've been plagued with strictures and blood sugar drops. For the strictures, I have been dilated 4 times. Back in May I had an ulcer develop right where they would dilate, so they were unable to do it. I had an EGD done again 3 weeks ago and the opening was only 9mm. He dilated to 12 and I've been in terrible pain since and not tolerating any solid food. I had another scope done yesterday and the opening is now 4mm. The ulcer is back and it has many new friends with it now. He dilated again but says I will probably need a revision to fix the problem. This scares the crap out of me. I did a google search about it on my lunch break today and one site said there is a high mortality rate with a revision of this type. Does anyone know anything about this? I need some prayers for sure

kathy

Berryhoosier
on 1/3/15 11:14 am
RNY on 12/17/14

I don't know anything about it, but I'm praying.

NYMom222
on 1/3/15 1:06 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I can't say I know much about this, but I googled it and found this research from 2010 that concluded that surgery was a 'safe and effective procedure' for those that the dilation through endoscopy has failed.

http://www.soard.org/article/S1550-7289%2810%2900752-5/abstract

I am not sure what you googled, but you have to be careful with all the information overload out there. I am sure it is scary though. I am saying a prayer for you.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Chilipepper
on 1/3/15 1:28 pm

With what revision type?

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

CarlaGee1
on 1/3/15 6:26 pm - San Diego, CA

Dear Kathy,

I will be praying for you. I have had the same symptoms only they are not able to locate the ulcer???? I don't know what to do, I have been dilated three times already since 2012. I pray you feel better soon. I am also suffering from blood sugar drops as well as a few spikes, definitely mood disorder and spouts of crazy energy...I am scared of who I have become this past year. The metabolic disorder brings on a whole new ball game. Please keep me in your prayers.

Carla Gee.

KC_77
on 1/4/15 8:53 pm

Carla Gee, you are definitely in my prayers, hang in there girl. The best way I've found for me to deal with blood sugar drops is to be aware and prepared. The first time it happened, I was sitting on the couch reading and all the sudden I got up, took off all my clothes and grabbed something to eat from the kitchen. My husband thought it was quite funny seeing me sitting on the couch eating cheese and crackers in the nude. I vaugly remember the episode. I guess  my body knew I had to eat. A week later, it happened at work, (but I kept my clothes on), I was very confused and clammy. Another nurse checked my blood sugar and it was 42. 

The problem first started when I started adding more carbs into my diet. Now I make sure it's complex carbs and protein together plus I keep a little something handy just in case. 

glamour18
on 1/8/15 8:50 am

Hi Katy,

I had the gastric bypass done January 2013 and in February was told I had a leakage so that was the second surgery... I have been hospitalized over 20 times.. vomiting, chronic upper left stomach pain... water hurts to swallow and food. I was put on the pic line and sent home with a nurse to feed me through the pic line... didn't help because the vomiting, diarrhea and chronic stomach pain ended me back in hospital. I had severe diarrhea for one month none stop from the first surgery, had to wear adult diapers all day and night. I prayed to God that he would help me because I was so ill.. on June 2013 the Doctor felt I should have the gastric bypass reversed because I had to many complications.. I was then told by other doctors that The gastric bypass can not be reversed because part of your stomach is cut away..... Some say it can!!! to this day January 2015 I have been hospitalized so many times I lost count... so the the reversal didn't help me at All... I still have chronic stomach pain and vomiting.... I was 225 pounds 5 feet *6inches and now I am 140 pounds.. I really don't have a life because I am always in pain and vomiting... I wish I had NEVER gotten it done!!! it was not worth it!!! my life has changed and its sad!!!.. I am 51 years old, I should be living it up and happy.. I was told now I need a another surgery because they found another problem. I am to weak to have another surgery! I think doctors should be clear of All the complications concerning the procedure. I request that those that can pray let join together and lets pray for each other and that God will Give the doctors wisdom and knowledge what to do and handle each patient differently..  sincerely Queen