So many questions....

MsBatt
on 1/2/15 1:21 pm

I'm 11 years post-op from the Duodenal Switch, so my experiences will no doubt be different from yours, but maybe it would be helpful to you to learn how DSers live after surgery.

1. I love food. Always have, always will. I love to cook, to eat, to entertain. I think I eat much MORE 'normally' now than I did pre-op. I do eat a high-protein, high-fat, moderate-carb 'diet', but there's nothing that I can't eat if I choose to. Some things I choose to limit, but there's nothing that's completely off limits. As a DSer, I NEED about 140 grams of protein a day, and about 150 grams of fat. This means that I don't eat anything that's been artificially made to be low- or non-fat. I chow down every 2.5-3 hours on things like meat, seafood, cheese, nuts, eggs, dairy.

2. I'm not a fan of wine, so I can't speak to this. I do enjoy a good mixed drink now and then.

3. The no drinking before, during, or immediately after meals is strictly an RNY rule. As a DSer, I drink pretty much ALL THE TIME, for around a gallon of iced tea a day.

4. Carbonated beverages...well. I DO drink them, from time to time, but even 11 years out drinking much of them makes me rather uncomfortable. Now mind you, pre-op I was a stone-cold, Coke Classic ADDICT. I quit cold turkey, and I didn't try them again until I was about 6 months post-op. I find I just don't like them like I used to.

Tracy D.
on 1/5/15 3:56 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

1.  This will sound harsh but here goes:  if you ate "normally" in the first place you wouldn't have 100 lbs. to lose.  So if you're asking if you'll be able to eat like you did before surgery, the answer is "no".  Will you be able to cook, eat and entertain?  Sure!  Will you be able to go out to dinner again?  Of course!  I go out to dinner at least once a week.  But it's all going to look very different after surgery than it did before surgery.  Now at restaurants I don't get a drink, an appetizer or dessert.  I order an entree and end up taking half of it home...every time.  At Christmas dinner I had a bit of ham, a spoonful of cheesy potatoes and a roll on my plate.  That was it...and I'm OK with that because I have my health and my life back. 

2.  Wine - any alcohol actually - is a very slippery slope.  Wait until you are in maintenance to test the waters and be aware of transfer addiction.  It's real and can happen quickly.  Especially for those pre-ops that are most scared of not being able to drink again.  That kind of thinking pre-op already indicates that someone has traveled a little further down the road of dependency than others who don't care if they ever have another drink again.    

3.  I drink right up until I eat a meal but I don't drink anything for 60 minutes after.  It just is too uncomfortable.  It's second nature to me now and not an issue. 

4.  You'll be able to do this eventually but it may not feel as good as it once did.  Carbonation increases the acid build up in my stomach and can be uncomfortable.  I still try and enjoy a diet soda every now and then...but it's a lot less enjoyable these days.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15