Options for payment when insurance won't cover? Medical load, etc?

mute
on 1/4/15 2:14 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

wls is excluded by my insurance but I feel I have to do this regardless. 

For or self pay what are my options since most places don't do payment plans?

i don't know anything about medical loans or anything. I know a ton about medical stuff in general since I had cancer but those bills are paid in full now since they took payment plans. 

So is anyone here educated about them? When I google the info I don't get very far without being confused. 

Valerie G.
on 1/5/15 12:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

First, ask the doc about any special self-pay rates or programs.  Many have special programs for self pay patients, but they usually expect payment up front if there's no guarantee of payment from insurance.

Next, google medical financing - oodles of options to explore will come up.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

mute
on 1/5/15 12:37 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I just found out the place I'm going to does not allow payment plans. Now I'm extremely disheartened and unsure what to do because for all my medical issues I've had places have all accepted payment plans. 

We have great credit but not a ton in savings as we bought a house a little over a year ago. 

When I google medical financing what I'm having a problem with is not being able to tell which are *good* options and which are not so good with high interest or crappy policies. That's why I was hoping someone here had experience with them.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/5/15 12:45 am - OH

Care Credit is one that people frequently use.  It is, unlike some, a reputable company and their website has good, clear info on how it works and has (or I assume it still has) a calculator that allows you to figure out what payments will be based on loan amount.

A friend of mine also used Capital One a while back, so they would also be a reputable company to work with.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

mute
on 1/5/15 1:21 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Thank you! I will look into both of those.

Valerie G.
on 1/5/15 12:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Medical financing is usually high interest, so if your credit is good, I suggest applying for traditional loan or credit card.  Do ask for self-pay pricing.  My docs self-pay program was a flat fee that covered all costs for 6 months for her and the hospital and covered any complications and all follow up in that 6 mo period.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/5/15 12:59 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Do you have a 401k? You can take out a loan, the interest is usually low & since you're paying yourself back it won't show up on your credit report.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

mute
on 1/5/15 1:22 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I don't, but my husband does. I will look at our latest statement. We've never done that before, so I'm not sure what it entails. Thanks for the extra option!

mute
on 1/5/15 1:24 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I'm going to check into the insurance through my work and see if it is covered there but then the enrollment period isn't for 10 months but I'm 32 and have waited this long so I think I could wait another 10 months to start the process. I just am hoping for good news somewhere about the money part.

Sarahlicious
on 1/5/15 5:11 am - Portsmouth, OH

Here are some options I put together... 

Insurance Denied My Weight Loss Surgery – Now What?

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/insurance-denied-weight- loss-surgery-now

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat