Is honey OK to use in tea?

SKmammabear
on 1/4/15 11:07 am

I just had my DS surgery on the 31st and starting to maybe want some tea, but don't like non-sweetened tea.  Is Honey OK to use?

MickeyDee
on 1/4/15 4:01 pm

I use Stevia or Truvia;  honey is great for lemon honey tea when I have a cold with congestion but it is pure sugar.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/4/15 4:42 pm - UK

Probably best to ask on the DS board. My own choice was to avoid anything which was pure liquid calories. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/15 10:27 pm

One thing I found was herbal tea.Peppermint is good without any sweetner.There are a lot of good teas out there.I would ask your doctor to before using honey.

twinmom914
on 1/5/15 12:08 am

Per my nutrition binder, no it is not good.

Valerie G.
on 1/5/15 12:30 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Honey is sugar.  As DSers, there's not much that will make us ill or anything, but if you're counting carbs or being mindful of the simple carbs, honey counts as sugar.  Like fruit, it's just a natural sugar is all.  It all counts towards nothing good for us.  I highly recommend trying some artificial sweetener options. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Gwen M.
on 1/5/15 1:03 am
VSG on 03/13/14

While honey does have some benefits, it's just fructose.  I'd avoid it.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Pokemom
on 1/5/15 2:37 am
RNY on 12/29/14

My husband and I love herb teas.  We have tried many over the years.  There are many that are good without any sweetener. 

I just had my surgery last week, and I have been depending on the warmth and soothing nature of herb teas during this healing time.

Here are a some favorites.  None of these have caffeine in them.  Maybe you would like to try them!  You can get most delivered to your door through Amazon.

Sweet and Spicy (Good Earth brand--they also have a caffeinated version)

Chamomile-Citrus (Mighty Leaf brand)

Passion (Tazo brand)

Calm Chamomile (Tazo brand)

Peppermint Chocolate (The Republic of Tea)

Organic Detox Infusion (Mighty Leaf)

Mint Melange (Mighty Leaf)

Peach Detox (Yogi brand)

Turmeric Amber Sun (Numi brand)

Tazo has so many good teas.  They have changed their herbal line in the past year or two, and they have a lot of new teas that we intend to try. (We miss some of the ones they have discontinued)

We also love everything we have tried by Mighty Leaf, and recently saw they had new ones to try as well.

We have also tried some very good ones through Teavana and Manufaktura--these are just harder to get where we live.

Happy "Cuppa"!

MsBatt
on 1/5/15 5:56 am

One tablespoon of honey has 17 grams of SUGAR. While honey probably has some nutritional benefits over table sugar, it's NOT something you want to be eating while trying to lose weight.

Understand this---your body does not CARE where sugar comes from. Sugar is sugar is sugar, whether it comes from the sugar bowl, cake, ice cream, soda, honey, or fruit.