Weight loss without scale moving?

1r3Landia
on 1/2/15 5:44 am

I am new to ObesityHelp.com. I had the gastric sleeve surgery on Dec. 22, 2014, so it hasn't been 2 weeks yet. The one question I have is how come the scale doesn't move at all, but I am able to fit into pants a size smaller. I have had a couple of people say they see that I am getting smaller, but why hasn't the scale moved one bit? (I think part of my problem is that I weigh myself everyday. I am going to try to only weigh myself once a week.) This is really bugging me. Any suggestions on how to make the scale move?

White Dove
on 1/2/15 6:02 am - Warren, OH

Be sure to take measurements.  That is a good way to track your progress when the scale is not moving.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 1/2/15 6:11 am
RNY on 08/21/12

If you follow your plan, it will move. It's not always a straight line.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Thebiggestloser
on 1/2/15 6:58 am
VSG on 11/19/14

Are you exercising? You can lose inches without your weight changing due to losing fat and gaining muscle. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/2/15 7:14 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

It's only been a few weeks, your body is probably more concerned with healing from surgery. It needs to get its groove back. Patience grasshoppersan!(Kung foo movie line), follow your drs plan & the scale will move, don't forget to take measurements, what you don't see in the scale will be reflected in inches lost. Don't become scale obsessed, it'll drive you crazy!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

kathkeb
on 1/2/15 7:52 am

Personally, I would be happier with smaller clothes than a smaller number on the scale.

Muscle and fat weight the same 1 pound =1 pound of anything) but muscle takes up less space, so, as you trade muscle for fat, your body is smaller even if the scale does not change much.

Kath

STB
on 1/2/15 8:17 am
RNY on 07/21/14

As long as you are following your plan you will lose. Sometimes I don't lose for a week then, between one day and the next the scale will show a 2.5 pound loss. It will come.

SHARON  

lo_ri_p
on 1/2/15 9:08 am - Ocala, FL

I have that problem too.  The scale does not move then I stop checking.  The next thing I know I lose 20lbs and it seems like over night.  One thing to remember when you become more active is that muscle weighs more than fat.  I would suggest not weighing yourself everyday it just causes frustration.  Besides the first few weeks there is lots of swelling in your stomach.  I am guessing that may contribute.

MsBatt
on 1/2/15 1:11 pm

Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. One pound of fat and one pound of muscle both weigh...one pound. Same thing is true of one pound of lead and one pound of feathers.

Muscle and bone are MORE DENSE than fat, so one pound of muscle or bone takes up LESS SPACE than one pound of fat. This is why people who've been obese for many years are SMALLER than always-thin people at the same height and weight. (Being obese causes us to develop more muscle and denser bones, just to haul ourselves around.)

Amy K.
on 1/4/15 11:32 am - Tucson, AZ

I was really bad about weighing myself every day. Finally told hubby to hide the scale and only give it to me once a week. So, Friday mornings my scale magically appears, I weigh in, then by the time I get home Friday afternoon it's hidden again. 

High Weight: 264, BMI 46.8, Surgery Date: July 1, 2014, weight 227, BMI 40.2